03 Sport Trac v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Sport Trac v8

tasmanian10

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
So I have a 5spd 03 sport trac. I want to the 5.0 from the 01 explorer but my swap I feel would be a big harder since I want to keep it manual and rwd. Is there a way to do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have a 5spd 03 sport trac. I want to the 5.0 from the 01 explorer but my swap I feel would be a big harder since I want to keep it manual and rwd. Is there a way to do this?

I know you can't bolt up the V6 auto trans to the 5.0L, so I assume the manual wont work either. How about a manual trans out of a 5.0L Mustang or F150?

The T-5 from an 85-95 can physically bolt up. You'd have to swap the flywheel (50oz.), bellhousing (1985-1993 are different from 94-95; 94-95 T-5s have a longer input shaft), clutch set, and you'll have to adapt a clutch cable to the pedal. Another issue is with the programming of the V-8 EEC-V. They are set to work with the automatic. I don't know how to explain it, but the D.I.S. (distributorless ignition system) plays a part in how the engine runs if not used with the correct transmission the EEC-V is programmed for.

You'd need the entire donor vehicle to do the swap. It will be much more difficult hunting down part by part.

I forgot to mention that the factory T-5 isn't very strong and the Sport Trac is a lot heavier. If you are able to get this done you'd want, at the very least, a Tremec 3550 or even the T-56 (6-speed) which are pretty stout. You're going to have to have the driveshaft resized (I think, don't quote me on that part).

A M50D from a 97-02 v6 f150 will bolt in and put the shifter in the correct place behind the 5.0 from an Explorer. You will have to tune out the trans functions with a tuner for it to run right though.

i think the biggest problem that you would have is electrical. granted i dont know tons about the trac's but i think your is a job 2 when it comes to electronics (i think 01 and mid year 02 were job 1). job 1 is basically the same as 00-01 explorers. you would need to do a lot of repinning on a lot of connectors. if you get in touch with member NICE59FORDF100 (russ) he should be able to explain it better then i can.

Back