'03 Sport Trac XLT 4WD problem

wesc19

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT
Hi All,

I have a 2003 Sports Trac with 130,000 miles and I can't get 4WD High to engage for some reason (or 4WD Low, for that matter). When I flip the switch to 4WD high I hear a clicking sound behind the glove compartment. It seems to click twice, pause for a couple seconds, then click once more, but 4WD does not engage nor does the 4WD High light illuminate on my dashboard.

This problem began last year. At the onset of the problem I was able to flip the switch back and forth from 2WD to 4WD High and eventually it would engage after a couple of attempts. At this point I can't get it to engage at all...

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is it an expensive fix?

Thanks in advance for any info...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you hear the clicking which sounds like it comes from the dash (listen @ the right kick panel) you most likely have a bad shift motor.

Thanks Steve. This part sells online for around $80... I'm assuming that if I took my truck into Ford that they'd charge me $100 for the diagnostic work and then I bet at least $200 for the shift motor.

Other than hearing the clicking, what would be the best way for me to determine that the t-case shift motor is the root of the problem? Is this an easy install for someone that can follow directions fairly well but doesn't have much mechanical experience?

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for the help!

About $250 on the motor. Easy install, more difficult technical diagnosis. Crawl under and give the motor a medium/hard smack with a hammer/wrench/solid object and see if it changes anything. You can also remove the motor and turn the triangle shaped shaft back and forth a few times to make sure it turns freely. Reinstall/try.

Thanks Steve; will do this weekend and will report back results. Just so I'm clear, This is the part that I'm looking for to smack with the hammer / re-install if necessary, correct?

http://www.bizrate.com/automotive-parts/oid2330830741.html

Can you give me some insight on how big of a part this is and exactly where it's located under the truck? I'm assuming that it'll be just under where the right kick panel is, correct?

Thanks again for the help.

The module is behind the right kick panel. The shift motor is on the back of the transfer case. Peck it good a few times, NOT TOO HARD, and see if it starts working. If not then remove it and turn the triangular shaft back and forth to see that it moves relatively freely. Be sure to put it back in the original position before installing the motor assy again.

The part is about the same size as the windshield wiper motor.

Back