• Register Today It's free!

04' Ranger rear brake problems?

N0thing43

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger '04 XLT
Hello fellow Ranger owners, this is my first post. I have an '04 Ranger 4*4 XLT 4.0 it has 17,700 miles on it. I was suprised to find out that The rear shoes needed replaced, along with the drums needing resurfaced. The service dept. from the dealership I bought it diagnosed the problem. I knew something was wrong, brought it in thinking whatever the problem was it would be under warranty. It wasnt, no surprise being that was a break problem. Just wondered if this was a problem with Ford Rangers, or do I just have bad luck. I think I got a Ranger that was built on a Friday afternoon. I have nothing but small nagging issues with this 04' Ranger. Makes me wonder if I should of kept my 02' Tacoma........:feedback:

Your problem could possibly be the use of Ford OE brake shoes. A friend had a similar experience with a '94 F150. The OE shoes are quite soft to give the new vehicle a nice pedal feel and to reduce rear brake squeal. He solved the problem by installing harder aftermarket shoes, ie. shoes that are advertised to last longer.

You may have been riding with parking brake, the pedal is not fully release the last 17K miles. Brake is consider a wear items and does not cover under warranty. I guess if you make a big enough issue at the dealership, they'll do something to your favor since you buy the truck there.

If all else failed, I would replace the pad and take the drums to your local brake shop and have them turn it. Once you have everything removed, you may want to inspect the brake wheel cylinders to see if they are sticking or leaking.

good luck!

Al

ps when removing the shoe, do one side at a time since you want to have the otherside as a reference! I have done a few and have book with pictures but there is nothing like a reference.

have you replaced your front brakes yet? you should get double the life of the front brakes from your rear drums.

unless you knowingly forget to remove the parking brake, id pop the wheels of myself and inspect them.

sounds like the dealership is acting more like a stealership

Back