05 Aviator mirrors on 03 Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Aviator mirrors on 03 Limited

are these bigger or smaller than the 4th gen explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not sure about the distance from the vehicle, but they are taller.

Edit: it sticks out a little further as well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 537

yeah, I didnt even think about the distance from the truck and its effect on the field of view...... you! You're good!

The one strange thing is that on the driver side my up down functions are the reverse of the switch. When I tried to correct it, I blew the fuse. The wiring was still a mystery, so I "undid the correction" and have one function that is opposite from the switch

Thanks for the writeup and all the info. I just picked up a driver mirror for 30 bucks and will be grabbing the passenger tomorrow for ~60.
Just a thought about the reversed functions...
I know you worked thorough a lot of the issues at the connection to the mirror, did you try swapping the pins at the switch?

I have a set im working on for my 02 eddie bauer. I have the wiring diagrams for the Avi and my 02(late build) that ive been using to test functions. Once theyre in ill update the info 1996eb gave us and hopefully they function correct and not opposite

I have a set im working on for my 02 eddie bauer.
I just installed mine. Still need to work out some kinks in the wiring but I am taking notes and pics of everything.

I have both mirrors hooked up for power adjustment right now and both operate with reversed up/down. I intend to address this either by switching pins in the controller harness (1st choice) or in the motor connector in the mirrors.
Still need to figure out puddle lamps, driver signal (bad connection where I tapped in?), and hook up to defrost.

As wiring colors may have changed I think it may be best to go by pin location on the harnesses as applicable.
-The power adjustment wires are the first 4 pins on the Aviator connector and the odd numbered pins on the Explorer connector.
-Signal lights have to be tapped obviously.
-Not sure on heated (if equipped), I don't have any grn/mauve wires.
-Also not sure on puddle lamp, I don't have any blk/Blu wires.

Here's a Google Doc I'm putting together(please edit if you have new/better info): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._GQZdKjwO_o5lt966ovomavLfko/edit?usp=drivesdk

Aviator Driver
aviator_driver1.jpg
aviator_driver2.jpg

Explorer Driver
explorer_driver1.jpg

Aviator Passenger
aviator_passenger1.jpg
aviator_passenger2.jpg

Explorer Passenger
explorer_passenger1.jpg

I am in love with these mirrors, they offer much better field of view and make the truck seem more trucky.
exwavimirrors1.png

exwavimirrors2.png

The heated mirrors is the green/ purple stripe wire on both harnesses. Ford did us a favor leaving that wire the same. As soon as i get to my mirrors and papers ive been using ill see what i can come up with. Ive bench tested the mirrors and got the correct wires for moving them and the heat, signals and puddle lamps i just dont remember off hand what they were

The heated mirrors is the green/ purple stripe wire on both harnesses. Ford did us a favor leaving that wire the same. As soon as i get to my mirrors and papers ive been using ill see what i can come up with. Ive bench tested the mirrors and got the correct wires for moving them and the heat, signals and puddle lamps i just dont remember off hand what they were
I finished mine last night, I updated the google doc with my findings.

So, after I put my mirrors on last year and never wired anything up and then put the stock mirrors back on for safety inspection I did a complete bench test while the aviator mirrors were off.
pin 1: Up/Down
pin 2: Up/Down
pin 3: Left/Right
pin 4: Left Right
pin 5: Mirror Memory
pin 6: Mirror Memory
pin 7: Mirror Memory
pin 8: Mirror Memory
pin 9: Defrost
pin 10: Turn Positive
pin 11: Puddle Positive
pin 12: Ground (Common)

I could not get any of the plungers for the auto reverse mirror to function and one of them was a common.

Now, I finally wired up the mirror function today on my Explorer. I have an XLS so only 3 wires from factory.
Both sides have a yellow for common. Drivers side has a Blue for Up/Down and Red for Left/Right. Passenger side was Purple for Up/Down and Green for Left/Right.
In order to get the mirrors to function correctly I had to basically jump pins 2 and 3 on the Mirror side together and connect them to the yellow common on the vehicle side. Then just hook the other wires up accordingly and good to go.

I also ran a positive wire from my front turn signals to the doors and drilled a hole and connected a common ground wire right to the body of the door. I still want to connect the heated function and puddle lights but i need to figure out where I want to tap into those, I figure it's going to be by the fuse block but I did not want to get into that today.

My harnesses are different on my Avi mirrors. I have drivers side yellow/ light blue in pin 1 and black/ pink in pin 10. Pins 7-12 match side to side but 1-6 are different from side to side. Ill post my exact setup as well for people with my same harness. I have no clue what year Avi they were from though

Ok got mine on and working minus the signals for now. There were 2 differences i had. One was the passenger side up/down and left/right wires. Your diagram shows violet from the ex going to green on the avi and green from the ex to pink on the avi. Mine was opposite violet to pink and green to green. Also my driver mirror goes down with the up switch and up with the down switch. Ill look into it more when i wire the signals in
I just installed mine. Still need to work out some kinks in the wiring but I am taking notes and pics of everything.

I have both mirrors hooked up for power adjustment right now and both operate with reversed up/down. I intend to address this either by switching pins in the controller harness (1st choice) or in the motor connector in the mirrors.
Still need to figure out puddle lamps, driver signal (bad connection where I tapped in?), and hook up to defrost.

As wiring colors may have changed I think it may be best to go by pin location on the harnesses as applicable.
-The power adjustment wires are the first 4 pins on the Aviator connector and the odd numbered pins on the Explorer connector.
-Signal lights have to be tapped obviously.
-Not sure on heated (if equipped), I don't have any grn/mauve wires.
-Also not sure on puddle lamp, I don't have any blk/Blu wires.

Here's a Google Doc I'm putting together(please edit if you have new/better info): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._GQZdKjwO_o5lt966ovomavLfko/edit?usp=drivesdk

Aviator Driver
View attachment 98164 View attachment 98165

Explorer Driver
View attachment 98168

Aviator Passenger
View attachment 98166 View attachment 98167

Explorer Passenger
View attachment 98169

I am in love with these mirrors, they offer much better field of view and make the truck seem more trucky.
View attachment 98171

View attachment 98172

Like I said, the common on the vehicle, Explorer, side need to run to both pins 2 and 3 on the Aviator mirrors. The color of those 2 wires on my one mirror were green for number 2 and white/pink for number 3.

I've been thinking of how to increase view and this is a great solution, thanks for the detail

I did my 05 Limited this afternoon

Took a while

Door trim and mirror install simple a matter of minutes

Wiring longer

These colors did not match

What did get me through is to attach them as per the pin out above

And like the one up is down down I’d up

It reminds me of Doc saying you hafts turn right to go left

Bottomline follow the pinout it goes faster and like the other yellow had to feed both up pin#2 and pin #3, or is it 4

Only test I did not validate was heat, it will be cold enough soon

Best is the great looks and easily 50/75% more mirror

I installed Aviator mirrors on my 03 Limited. They are physically easy to install, but the wiring is not easy. I already had power/heated/puddle lamps, but I gained the signal lights from the Av. I had to compare wiring diagrams from both vehicles and perform bench testing. There are also extra wires on the Av mirrors for the link to the memory seats. My vehicle has memory seats, but there is no way to tie in the memory function when installing on the Ex. They function perfectly, but the wiring is really a PITA. Tapping the signal light circuit on each side was easy.

The Aviator mirrors look great on the 2002-2005 Explorers. I bought a pair for my truck, but didn't install them. They are for sale and are in perfect condition. PM me if interested.

I did this too but I didn't wire them up

You can always go back and wire them. How do you like them on it?

You can always go back and wire them. How do you like them on it?
My car's color is Ivory Parchment Tricoat and I got a set of Pueblo Gold ones from the junkyard for cheap. Surprisingly enough you can't tell they're different colors. I will likely go in and wire them in the future, but I kept the original mirrors in case I change my mind but I love the visibility and stance. Also I can't find chrome cap covers for them...

They’re much better than the originals. I like them so much, I put a set on my 07 ST. Not sure if chrome caps are available, but you could just paint yours, if you want. We’ve still got the 03 Explorer in the family. This is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• 7F3674F1-6F02-4EFF-93E3-C92E10F0839C.jpeg
    7F3674F1-6F02-4EFF-93E3-C92E10F0839C.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 117

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Aviator mirrors look great on the 2002-2005 Explorers. I bought a pair for my truck, but didn't install them. They are for sale and are in perfect condition. PM me if interested.
What color are they?

Back