• Register Today It's free!

05 mountaineer need brake help.

kcflan21

Reaction score
City, State
rochester ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 mount premier
I have an 05 mercury mountaineer premier has about 73000 on it. About a week ago I smelled something after getting out of it...a few days later found that it was coming from the driverside back tire. It only smelled, a burning smell that similiar to burning brakes, when a longer drive was taken. I need to replace the back pads and rotors and did so. The first average drive, 20 minutes or so, and the same thing major burning smell. Even some pumes of smoke. My rotor was extremely hot to the touch even my rim was hot. I made sure the parking brake was working which it is. Need help trouble shooting. Calpier maybe? or something with the parking brake that I'm not thing of? If it is the caliper I need some help with changing it, as in how do I shut the brake fluid off? Thanks for any and all help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 05 mercury mountaineer premier has about 73000 on it. About a week ago I smelled something after getting out of it...a few days later found that it was coming from the driverside back tire. It only smelled, a burning smell that similiar to burning brakes, when a longer drive was taken. I need to replace the back pads and rotors and did so. The first average drive, 20 minutes or so, and the same thing major burning smell. Even some pumes of smoke. My rotor was extremely hot to the touch even my rim was hot. I made sure the parking brake was working which it is. Need help trouble shooting. Calpier maybe? or something with the parking brake that I'm not thing of? If it is the caliper I need some help with changing it, as in how do I shut the brake fluid off? Thanks for any and all help.

Could be a stuck caliper. Maybe it needs to be greased?

I took the tire back off this morning and the caliper definitely smells burnt. I'm guessing that is the problem....how and where do I grease it? Thx in advance

the caliper slides on a pin that points to the inside of the wheel well.

Be sure to use grease formulated for brake/hub usage.

What pads & rotors are you using?

Change caliper both of em ...sticking calipers are hard to diagnose...expensive item ...Rock Auto has good prices. You can do one but will probably regret it down the road 10000 miles.

Back