06 changes alt and battery now engine light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 changes alt and battery now engine light on

frankjc

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi, 2006 6cyl Explorer, Sunday morning, found the battery had 4.5 volts replaced the battery, drove it and it died, found that the alternator was bad, it was actually sparking inside. Replaced the alternator, now the check light came on:
P0102,P0135,P0141,P0155,P0161,P0443.
I am told the light wasn't on before. I do not drive this vehicle, the kids do. I am not sure why this would happen?
the alternator is putting out 14.6 volts at idle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check fuseable links and/or other master fuses. These are typically > 100 Amp

It is not uncommon that a low battery will trigger all kind of weird errors.

I would clear them and just drive the car and the chances are they will not come back.

On my wife's subaru, the alternator died, and before I figured it out, I was looking into:
airbags warning light

rear differential temp sensor ????
engine oil temp ????
then the radio died, and all kind of ghost effects.

new alt fixed it all, there were no problems after that.

i cleared it last night, the light came back on this morning. i have not scanned today to see what codes are present. i am planning on cleaning the connections at the alternator, checking fuses, etc and see where that takes me.

let us know what codes came back

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I was thinking about it ans I am wondering if I disturbed the MAF or pulled something loose when I moved the air cleaner cover to get easier access to the alternator bolts.

The wires at the MAF connector we're all bare and touching each other, seemed like the conduit wore the insulation right off of them. Taped them up for now, I'll do a better repair when it's warm out.

I had the bare wire problem at the MAF sensor connector, taped them up, but the green wire was hanging by a thread, I am sure there were less than half of the strands of wire connected. Taped all the wires up, did a rush job because it was freezing out. CEL is back on and car is running crappy again. I am thinking that bad wire is casing problems. I wish I just spent the extra few minutes and fixed that wire a little better.

Back