• Register Today It's free!

'07 new owner questions

Marccardwell

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
Hi all, I just bought an 07 Sport Trac from my dad, who couldn't drive it due to health issues. He bought it used a few years ago. It has 118K, its a V8, 4WD, 4.6L, leather seats, moon roof; Some random questions:
1. It says "Limited" on the back, but the odometer display is shorter, as seen on the XLT. The title says XLT, maybe the Limited plate on the back is a mistake?
2. He had work done on it, brakes, serp belt, blower motor, oil changes and more, BUT the 100K maintenance has not been done. What's the most important 100K work I should get my mechanic to do first?
3. This car was first used up North in PA, so salty road conditions. The first week I had it, the tail pipe about fell off due to rust. When it was on the lift at the muffler place, OH MAN there's a ton of rust down there. The spare tire rim looked like mush. I plan on taking it soon to my mechanic, but are there any important things I should know about these trucks and rust? (Carfax says this is not reported as flood damage)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, I just bought an 07 Sport Trac from my dad, who couldn't drive it due to health issues. He bought it used a few years ago. It has 118K, its a V8, 4WD, 4.6L, leather seats, moon roof; Some random questions:
1. It says "Limited" on the back, but the odometer display is shorter, as seen on the XLT. The title says XLT, maybe the Limited plate on the back is a mistake?
2. He had work done on it, brakes, serp belt, blower motor, oil changes and more, BUT the 100K maintenance has not been done. What's the most important 100K work I should get my mechanic to do first?
3. This car was first used up North in PA, so salty road conditions. The first week I had it, the tail pipe about fell off due to rust. When it was on the lift at the muffler place, OH MAN there's a ton of rust down there. The spare tire rim looked like mush. I plan on taking it soon to my mechanic, but are there any important things I should know about these trucks and rust? (Carfax says this is not reported as flood damage)
Hi again Marc, The four line display was an option to be added at the time of the build. For the rest I will let someone else answer.

I have attached a pdf version of the 2007 Sport Trac brochure that goes over the standard and optional adds.

Attachments

• 2007-ford-explorer-sport-trac.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 94

Hi again Marc, The four line display was an option to be added at the time of the build. For the rest I will let someone else answer.

I have attached a pdf version of the 2007 Sport Trac brochure that goes over the standard and optional adds.
Thanks! I saw this PDF in another thread. (EDIT: this is a different PDF, thanks again!) It's quite helpful, and I guess I missed the par about the display being updated after mid year, all I remember now is something about the windshield heater.

A few of the maintenance items you should look into getting done (or doing yourself, don't be scared nobody knows what they are doing until they do it)
  1. Transmission fluid change (Some debate on switching to Maxlife vs. sticking with the mercon SP)
  2. Spark plugs (I didn't see anything mentioned about them being changed, just be careful with the connectors. it's old plastic)
  3. Complete Timing job Soon. this includes the chain (why not), guides, tensioners, AND ROCKERS.
  4. Check u joints and carrier bearing of the drive shaft. If the carrier bearing is bad, you'll need to get the aftermarket Dorman one. plug you'll get replaceable u-joints.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

A few of the maintenance items you should look into getting done (or doing yourself, don't be scared nobody knows what they are doing until they do it)
  1. Transmission fluid change (Some debate on switching to Maxlife vs. sticking with the mercon SP)
  2. Spark plugs (I didn't see anything mentioned about them being changed, just be careful with the connectors. it's old plastic)
  3. Complete Timing job Soon. this includes the chain (why not), guides, tensioners, AND ROCKERS.
  4. Check u joints and carrier bearing of the drive shaft. If the carrier bearing is bad, you'll need to get the aftermarket Dorman one. plug you'll get replaceable u-joints.
That's all I can think of at the moment.
Thanks for the helpful advice! I’m gonna have to ask a mechanically inclined friend what some of this means!

Thanks for the helpful advice! I’m gonna have to ask a mechanically inclined friend what some of this means!
Easiest to hardest is
  1. Spark plugs (get a magnetic spark plug socket)
  2. Drive shaft (there are tons of YouTube videos of what a bad carrier bearing or u-joints look like)
  3. Transmission fluid change (it's just a hassle because Ford thought transmissions shouldn't have drain bolts. Look up 6r60 transmission pans and there are some that have a drain plug)
  4. Many other things
  5. Timing job. This is very advanced but Ford tech makuloo has many videos on this
Good luck! Try something you're not comfortable with!

Back