• Register Today It's free!

1 more new owner 07 question

Marccardwell

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
I just bought an 07 4x4, v8, and I'm confused about the 4wd, there are 3 buttons, 4x4 Auto, high and Low
For normal driving, I don't push anything and it's rear wheel driven until it needs 4wd then that kicks in, is that correct?
Pushing 4x4 Auto shows nothing on the instrument cluster. If I need 4wd while I'm mudding, say (I'll never do this), I'd want to use 4x4 low? If I'm in snow (rare where I am), I'd do nothing since the Auto would kick in?

Apologies for my dumbness in this, the manual is not clear to me, and I used to drive an 05 Outback, which was AWD and I never thought about it/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought an 07 4x4, v8, and I'm confused about the 4wd, there are 3 buttons, 4x4 Auto, high and Low
For normal driving, I don't push anything and it's rear wheel driven until it needs 4wd then that kicks in, is that correct?
Pushing 4x4 Auto shows nothing on the instrument cluster. If I need 4wd while I'm mudding, say (I'll never do this), I'd want to use 4x4 low? If I'm in snow (rare where I am), I'd do nothing since the Auto would kick in?

Apologies for my dumbness in this, the manual is not clear to me, and I used to drive an 05 Outback, which was AWD and I never thought about it/
Hi Marc, congrats on your purchase. I just bought a 2007 limited V8 myself earlier this month. 4x4 Auto is standard drive. My understanding is our trucks are Front Wheel drive until the 4x4 has been turned on. The Auto4x4 is a part time all-wheel drive that kicks in during regular driving if you happen to lose traction at the front wheels to keep the vehicle on the road. Low and High are used specifically for off road or snow driving and which you use depends on how fast you are able to safely drive. Low is also best if you are trying to climb hills.

I could be wrong on some of this as I am new also and trying to learn all I can.

Hi Marc, congrats on your purchase. I just bought a 2007 limited V8 myself earlier this month. 4x4 Auto is standard drive. My understanding is our trucks are Front Wheel drive until the 4x4 has been turned on. The Auto4x4 is a part time all-wheel drive that kicks in during regular driving if you happen to lose traction at the front wheels to keep the vehicle on the road. Low and High are used specifically for off road or snow driving and which you use depends on how fast you are able to safely drive. Low is also best if you are trying to climb hills.

I could be wrong on some of this as I am new also and trying to learn all I can.
Ok, this is a bit clearer. FWD normally, got that. Pushing 4x4 Auto, I see no change on the cluster, maybe that has to be done while in Park? I appreciate your help!

2007 is RWD ( rear wheel drive) normally, until front is actuated via the transfer case actuation.

You should be able to switch to 4wd while moving.

You must stop and shift to neutral, to then switch to 4wd low range, and also, to return to high range.

Do not attempt either 4wd modes on pavement, or, above 45 mph

Awesome Turdle!! Thanks for the clarification on RWD vs FWD, much appreciated.

2007 is RWD ( rear wheel drive) normally, until front is actuated via the transfer case actuation.

You should be able to switch to 4wd while moving.

You must stop and shift to neutral, to then switch to 4wd low range, and also, to return to high range.

Do not attempt either 4wd modes on pavement, or, above 45 mph
Thanks, Turdle. If I’m not seeing anything on the cluster when I push 4x4 Auto on and off, that’s not what’s expected?
When you say
until front is actuated via the transfer case actuation
how is the front actuated? Like, does that mean tire slippage happens, and something kicks in? Or, does that mean actuation happens when that button is pushed (4x4 auto)?

There is no dash indication for 4WD Auto setting, the transfer case engages the front wheels when the vehicle detects the rear wheels losing traction.

When I'm Parked off roadway (some may call it in the ditch) there is a 2-3 ft berm to climb onto pavement.. 4X4 will kick in automatically which is shown on dash for the few moments it takes to get up and out onto the roadway..

There is no dash indication for 4WD Auto setting, the transfer case engages the front wheels when the vehicle detects the rear wheels losing traction.

When I'm Parked off roadway (some may call it in the ditch) there is a 2-3 ft berm to climb onto pavement.. 4X4 will kick in automatically which is shown on dash for the few moments it takes to get up and out onto the roadway..
OK, good to know!

The simplest way to describe Auto4x4 mode, the transfer case acts like a limited slip differential. As soon as the transfer case senses no spin from the front axle (the front drive is always turning when the vehicle is moving) and spin from the rear axle, it will "lock" the front axle in to regain traction.

As stated before, you can shift between Auto4X4 and 4X4HIGH at anytime (stopped or moving). This is only recommended on surfaces that allow slippage. (sand, dirt, wet, icy, snowy, etc.)

To shift into 4X4LOW from 4X4HIGH the vehicle must be stopped in park or neutral with foot on brake. This action in the transfer case will take between 3-10 seconds. You generally will hear the t/case clunk. Once it engages you can shift into drive and go into the deep mud, snow, or soft sand that would require this mode. Do not go faster than 25 mph, your engine will dislike you depending on what gear the transmission is in. I think most manufacturers state not to go past 15 mph actually. To shift back to 4X4HIGH you must stop the vehicle and place in park or neutral. It will again take 3-10 seconds and hear the clunk.

PSA - Public Service Announcement
Don't be "that guy"
driving on the freeway in winter conditions at 65/70 (somewhat of an exaggeration) mph thinking you're invincible because you have traction. I promise you that you DON'T have traction to stop. When you are in 4X4 mode your anti-lock brake systems do not operate the same, it will try to lock one wheel but in actuality they will all lock because they are connected by the drive system. A skid will follow, and you usually will end up in the ditch upside down.

Drive to the conditions not "your" ability, others are not as confident and when both parties meet its usually not a good situation.

Thanks for the clear description!
The simplest way to describe Auto4x4 mode, the transfer case acts like a limited slip differential. As soon as the transfer case senses no spin from the front axle (the front drive is always turning when the vehicle is moving) and spin from the rear axle, it will "lock" the front axle in to regain traction.

As stated before, you can shift between Auto4X4 and 4X4HIGH at anytime (stopped or moving). This is only recommended on surfaces that allow slippage. (sand, dirt, wet, icy, snowy, etc.)

To shift into 4X4LOW from 4X4HIGH the vehicle must be stopped in park or neutral with foot on brake. This action in the transfer case will take between 3-10 seconds. You generally will hear the t/case clunk. Once it engages you can shift into drive and go into the deep mud, snow, or soft sand that would require this mode. Do not go faster than 25 mph, your engine will dislike you depending on what gear the transmission is in. I think most manufacturers state not to go past 15 mph actually. To shift back to 4X4HIGH you must stop the vehicle and place in park or neutral. It will again take 3-10 seconds and hear the clunk.

PSA - Public Service Announcement
Don't be "that guy"
driving on the freeway in winter conditions at 65/70 (somewhat of an exaggeration) mph thinking you're invincible because you have traction. I promise you that you DON'T have traction to stop. When you are in 4X4 mode your anti-lock brake systems do not operate the same, it will try to lock one wheel but in actuality they will all lock because they are connected by the drive system. A skid will follow, and you usually will end up in the ditch upside down.

Drive to the conditions not "your" ability, others are not as confident and when both parties meet its usually not a good situation.

Back