'08 Escape, starts then immediately shuts off! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'08 Escape, starts then immediately shuts off!

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
My sister's '08 Escape left her and her family stranded on the side of the road the other day. It just quit on them. It will start normally but then not run for more than a second then immediately shut off. The computer has been reset and it made no difference. Her husband was driving and reported that right before it quit he had romped on the gas pretty good. It has the V6.

Is this a timing cam issue? Did his romping on the gas make the cam slip or something and get out of timing? Or could it be a computer issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually when something just quits like that I suspect timing issues, but I don't deal with those issues often enough to know if that is the problem or not... hopefully someone else will chime in...

Not meaning to redirect, but have you tried Escape City or one of the Escape forums? More Escapes over there, might have better answer...

It strangely turned out to be a bad MAF sensor. Which I would think it would still run with a bad one unless the circuitry totally went haywire or something. It ran fine after it was unplugged. And today we put a new one on and it runs fine.

Wow- that's a bit weird, huh? On an '08 even- that seems really 'young' to be a MAF failure already. Interesting!

Had an 02 explorer with a bad MAF, Was told that if failed in the open, the truck would still run, but send a check engine light. And if it failed in the closed side, the truck would not run. Could be the same for the Escapes. My 2 cents. Pete:salute:

that's good to know guys, Thanks for the input!

Back