08 explorer v6 with sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 explorer v6 with sync

HvNd4Speed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
Dang...where do i begin.

Where is the location to get through the firewall to run 0gauge power cable?

So I want to install component speakers in the door, sub and amps but i want to retain all my factory stereo, Sync and the rear entertainment DVD system.

Is there a factory amp in these explorers with the Sync. Can I simply run a line converter from the back of the head unit to my amps?

Is there a Metra, PAC or other brand adapter to do this?

Using a 6x8 speaker adapter, has anyone successfully put in a 6.5" mid in the doors, did it clear or did you have to add a MDF spacer?

The head unit is the amp.

You can run your own amp past the headunit by using a hi/lo converter.

Try the hood release or brake grommet for the wire, otherwise, drill a new hole in the firewall and put in a new grommet.

The only way to install new stuff but keep the factory sync system is to run your own amps and speakers, without modifying the entertainment system.
This means just swapping out the speakers, throwing in a sub, and using your own amp running off the factory head unit.

No adapters to do this.. (They'd be a mess anyway considering the amount of wires) just cut and splice basically.

You can put 6.5" speakers in the doors. Honestly, I find 6x8's with a subwoofer sound good. To get the best sound, seal up the doors with dynamat or something similar.

Hey DJDom, thanks for this info. I was hunting around looking for a factory amplifier and was hoping and praying there was not.

I can find a hole or a place at the firewall to drill in and get a grommet installed, I got a Stinger brand 0ga grommet when I did a system in my Honda Element, it worked very nicely and it snugged up the wire and kept out the weather, found it on Ebay for $7.

Also, I got some very beefy CDT audio 6.5's as part of a package deal with the sub and amp that i bought but Im thinking its going to be more work than what i want to mess with to install so im looking at reselling the CDT's and go with a 6x8 component set for front and maybe a coaxial 6x8 in rear. Thing is, the CDT's are very nice speakers! I hate to NOT use them. I tend to like the nicer quality gear, the sub i have is a JL 10w7 and a JL HD750/1, I am in market for a 4 channel for the doors and the speakers to go with it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....ideas and decisions..........what to doooo lol

Back