1/4 Mile Run Times | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/4 Mile Run Times

Ken, for the DD tune; do you recommend a new 170 thermostat or just leave the stock in place. I will not be going to a track.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this tuner has the ability to return to stock and unmarry like past tuners I have had you are essentially renting it because it will have some value when you get rid of your Sport once the lease is up.

From what I was able to gather, both tuners are making a VIN specific tune. Basically a one vehicle deal.

Thats the only reason I am a little put off. I also leased my sport, and so i need to play with the idea of $600 for 30 months..... :eek:

Ken, for the DD tune; do you recommend a new 170 thermostat or just leave the stock in place. I will not be going to a track.

I think it's a good idea for everyone, but not required.

From what I was able to gather, both tuners are making a VIN specific tune. Basically a one vehicle deal.

Thats the only reason I am a little put off. I also leased my sport, and so i need to play with the idea of $600 for 30 months..... :eek:

It has nothing to do with what we are doing as tuners. It has to do with the hardware. Once it flashes a vehicle, it's locked to it permanently. You can go back to stock still, but that doesn't release the lock.

It has nothing to do with what we are doing as tuners. It has to do with the hardware. Once it flashes a vehicle, it's locked to it permanently. You can go back to stock still, but that doesn't release the lock.

thank you for clarifying that..... so its Fords hardware that is making the tune VIN specific?

In the past with my other tuned cars I was able to resell the tune and its hardware it came with for example with COBB tunes.

I'm not trying to attack you or the other tuner, just clearing things up.:)

thank you for clarifying that..... so its Fords hardware that is making the tune VIN specific?

In the past with my other tuned cars I was able to resell the tune and its hardware it came with for example with COBB tunes.

I'm not trying to attack you or the other tuner, just clearing things up.:)

Not Ford, the flasher we are using is setup that way.

Ken....by using a 170* thermostat, what benefits will I gain over a stock thermostat while running a performance tune?

I've been running Ken's SuperSport tune all day today and wow......it's fast (for a 5000lb SUV with no other mods). The only issue seen is with coupling/wheel hop in sand mode but everything else seems good so far, albeit a short test.

Part throttle response in both the 93 and SuperSport are amazing compared to stock with the SS taking to another level. Up on the top end of the 93 tune the gains were noticable but nothing like the down low improvements, with the SS tune it's definately more noticeable in how it continues to pull a bit more.

I think the top end is where future tunes will shine as turbos get upgraded, meth comes into play, and all the other odds and ends that will let the engine breathe more. But all that said, I'm VERY happy with the gains in all Ken's tunes on an otherwise stock vehicle.

I'm not planning on modding much further anytime soon so other than a new thermostat, i'll probably sit tight for awhile until a better IC comes out or I get the itch to install meth.

As Ken refines these tunes I only see better things to come.

As a side note, I took my wife out for a drive and then let her take it for a spin and she was a bit nervious, so the SS may not be for everyone. The lack of torque management and the brute force of how the torque comes in can be a bit shocking. I launched it after brake boosting it up to around 2200 and she said "what the hell was that?!??!?" :D

I'll post more up later after I get some more time behind the wheel with it.

Ken....by using a 170* thermostat, what benefits will I gain over a stock thermostat while running a performance tune?

The cooler you can keep things the better. Using the 170* thermostat, it will allow the engine to operate at a much cooler temp. And the cooler you can keep the engine, the less heat soak you will get in the intake.

Couple other questions for Ken besides my 170* thermostat question.....what is the stock Sport thermostat temp set at? And running my current performance tune, sometimes when I go from a stop to a 90% throttle (and stay on it), the engine will just essentially quit. I need to let off the gas, let it stabilize, then it will go back to normal. This doesn't happen all the time......maybe 1 time out of 10. This also happened while running my normal Ford stock tune, so I don't think it has anything to do with stock vs performance. Have you had this issue with either Ford's stock tune or the tunes you are developing?

Couple other questions for Ken besides my 170* thermostat question.....what is the stock Sport thermostat temp set at? And running my current performance tune, sometimes when I go from a stop to a 90% throttle (and stay on it), the engine will just essentially quit. I need to let off the gas, let it stabilize, then it will go back to normal. This doesn't happen all the time......maybe 1 time out of 10. This also happened while running my normal Ford stock tune, so I don't think it has anything to do with stock vs performance. Have you had this issue with either Ford's stock tune or the tunes you are developing?

That sounds like condensation in the the intercooler isssue that has been discussed and may be a class action law suit issue with ford.

I've been running Ken's SuperSport tune all day today and wow......it's fast (for a 5000lb SUV with no other mods). The only issue seen is with coupling/wheel hop in sand mode but everything else seems good so far, albeit a short test.

Part throttle response in both the 93 and SuperSport are amazing compared to stock with the SS taking to another level. Up on the top end of the 93 tune the gains were noticable but nothing like the down low improvements, with the SS tune it's definately more noticeable in how it continues to pull a bit more.

I think the top end is where future tunes will shine as turbos get upgraded, meth comes into play, and all the other odds and ends that will let the engine breathe more. But all that said, I'm VERY happy with the gains in all Ken's tunes on an otherwise stock vehicle.

I'm not planning on modding much further anytime soon so other than a new thermostat, i'll probably sit tight for awhile until a better IC comes out or I get the itch to install meth.

As Ken refines these tunes I only see better things to come.

As a side note, I took my wife out for a drive and then let her take it for a spin and she was a bit nervious, so the SS may not be for everyone. The lack of torque management and the brute force of how the torque comes in can be a bit shocking. I launched it after brake boosting it up to around 2200 and she said "what the hell was that?!??!?" :D

I'll post more up later after I get some more time behind the wheel with it.

Thanks for the feedback!

That sounds like condensation in the the intercooler isssue that has been discussed and may be a class action law suit issue with ford.

If it was happening stock, I would say Ryan might be right. Mine did it a few times stock and does it now sometimes. It's worse when it's very humid.

Thermostat

Ken, Do you sell the thermostat? I don't see it on your site. I'm assuming it's easy to install?

Ken, Do you sell the thermostat? I don't see it on your site. I'm assuming it's easy to install?

No, we try to stick mostly to tuning only. But our dealers will most likely have packages like that once they start selling our Ecoboost line. Power by the Hour may release the off road downpipes them are making for my car. They haven't decided yet.

Not sure on the install. We are going to do that tomorrow. Along with a meth kit. :)

No, we try to stick mostly to tuning only. But our dealers will most likely have packages like that once they start selling our Ecoboost line. Power by the Hour may release the off road downpipes them are making for my car. They haven't decided yet.

Not sure on the install. We are going to do that tomorrow. Along with a meth kit. :)

Sounds like fun! Let me know how easy or hard the thermostat is to install. I plan in getting one once my tuner arrives from you.

When do you anticipate your vendors to start selling the tune?

That's not condensation, this wheel spin up front causing the car to go into protect. It happens to me all the time.

Like this:

BTW, NOBODY has condensation issues on this platform, the intercooler is sandwiched between the radiator and the A/C condesor, it's not hapenned to one single Flex or SHO. Please don't start that rumor on this platform.

I've had these same hesitation issues a couple random times while stock. normally it would be after tooling around at low rpms for a bit and when I'd go and give it the beans it woudl stutter/hesitate. But then randomly be fine right after.

I'm sure it wasn't a traction issue as my stock explorer could barely bring even the tiniest protest from tires when stock. Maybe protect mode on your heavily mod'd car, but I just can't believe that to be the case on stock explorers.

I will say that torque management is insane on the stock tune and could be doing way more then we need/want. Didn't seem tied to traction control though as i have it off a lot just to see if it makes any difference with driveability.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not condensation, this wheel spin up front causing the car to go into protect. It happens to me all the time.

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQr8kp0H64

BTW, NOBODY has condensation issues on this platform, the intercooler is sandwiched between the radiator and the A/C condesor, it's not hapenned to one single Flex or SHO. Please don't start that rumor on this platform.

That is not the same thing that is happening to us. Not even close.

Back