• Register Today It's free!

1.5 or 2 DIN Install Pics

Fullhouz

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 2wd
I am interested in replacing my factory radio (95' XLT non-JBL) with an Alpine (1.5 DIN) CDA-D852. Does anyone have pictures or advice\experience in installing a 1.5 or 2 DIN size radio in Explorers?

My concerns are, of course, the fit and appearance. I don't want a dash mounting kit that sticks out any. I want a flush or really recessed install (much like the factory unit). Should I pay attention to the depth of the new unit or does the mounting kit govern weather the unit will stick out or not?

Thanks for your time

Looks

I just put a JVC head unit in (1.5 DIN) with an install kit I bought from Wal-Mart. The install kit looks good, sticks out about an 1/8" and the head unit protrudes from that, but the face of the head unit is still recessed in relation to the bezel. All the install kits I have seen give pretty much the same look.
The depth of the unit should not be a concern. there is plenty of room back there.
You could fabricate a trim piece out of black Plexiglas or textured Plexiglas, but I think the the mounting track that the head unit hangs on would prevent you from recessing any further. So any gains would be minimal.

I have a Pioneer FH-P404 Double DIN:

Dead Link Removed

The color match is much better than the photo tends to show.

Back