• Register Today It's free!

1 year Ownership Review

SportCzech

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
After a year and 14,000 miles, still love this vehicle. Have read every thread up to about page 50 and must say this has been very helpful with tips and operational issues.
I have installed weathertech mats, wind deflectors and cargo mat, very happy with. Ford contour mudflaps installed, fit well but recently tore rear one out of attachment after backing into snowbank which cracked the interior of wheel well and broke peice off. Fixed.
Currently have frontend rattle going over small bumps, more of a clunk like mechanic said after driving it and he agreed it should not being doing this. Could not find cause and they have call into Ford engineering as how to proceed. Showed them thread from dco43054 member about sway bar and they do not think this is it. Will keep you posted.
Only other issue is all doors showing the paint wear on lower interior edge. Will fix myself with paint and foam strip insulation. Drivers the worst with about six inch length of wear. Showed dealer, they have not seen this before and feel I can solve this myself easier rather than having them figure it out.
Issues others have had like the delayed response to acceleration, sometimes this does happen when in low rpm, but have found that you can always accelerate while in Drive mode and paddle down even two gears safely in order to accelerate and this is much smoother.
Have no nav or MFT issues since last update. I also remote start the car quite often, due to this colder than normal winter, and think this helps every thing come to life better with all the electronics and computers. Last spring there were issues with radio not coming on and nav arrow off track from route but early on I was jumping in car starting and driving off much quicker. Like some of the aircraft I fly, all the computers and diagnostics need time to boot up.
I also use the door keypad quite often locking the keys in the car on occassion. Did have some trouble unlocking a few times. Found that it works much better when using more of a flat fingered press, like when getting finger printed, rather than a pointed touch like I am doing now on iPad.
I leave the climate control in auto and works perfectly, seats heated/cooled as necessary etc.
One last thing, I did develop the infamous moonroof rattle and fixed like others on threads by tightening rear screws with socket wrench just about a 1/4 turn.
Gas mileage 17 around town 22 to 25 highway depending on drivung habits. Running high test and sometimes midgrade. Changed oil at 3500 miles then at 25% oil life with ford reccommended.
So, love the car and thanks to all here with suggestions and help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up! Having only owned my 14 Ex Sport for three weeks I am quite interested to hear the thoughts and opinions of those who haven been driving it for a longer period. So far, I love the d$#n thing.

SportCzech

Your review is very accurate and I agree with you 99%.

My 14 Sport hasn't had the same issues yours has but it's probably because the Assembly Plant had time to correct those issues.

My Ford Touch is the only real issue.

I will do the first oil change same as you.

That scraping on the folded lower edge of the doors annoys me too. I passed it on to the Ford QC people but I bet the 15MY wont have any modifications. I was thinking about a thin weatherstrip or maybe a bead of flexible black (or body colour) calking. But you don't want to misalign the door when it closes.

I put 3M film on rear bumper as a bumper guard right over the lip and it is almost invisible. I put it on MFT screen too and you cant see it.

Im doing Diode Dynamics HID's this week and thats it for mods.

Can you share details on bumper guard?

I've seen scratches and swirls on my 4 month old.

I have the BMC bumper guard which goes over the edge of bumper. I put the ford bumper guard on my wife's edge which is not as good as it does not go over edge of bumper. These vehicles really should come with them as they used to and most suv's today.

Do you have pics you can share?

My bumper has taken a beating. 2 scratched and light/swirl type appearance.

I will never understand why that surface is so touchy.

I do not have pics. Just google BMC bumper cover. Most here agree this one works the best. I know there are some pics somewhere on these threads if you just do a search.

Back