'10 nav unit in '09 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'10 nav unit in '09 XLT?

wcmueller

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 Explorer XLT
Just bought an '09 XLT with the standard non-nav head unit (no subwoofer/audiophile, single disc, etc). Want to put a nav unit in, and install a backup camera, and was thinking about the new kenwood unit designed to work with the as-yet unreleased iDatalink Maestro to retain SYNC voice commands and steering wheel controls. Then I realized I can't afford the $1500 it's going to cost me to do that.

So, I had the bright idea that I could get a used nav unit with the built in hard drive from a '10 Explorer.

Has anyone done this? Is it a simple swap out, plug and play, or am I not seeing something? Checked the web and haven't come across anything...

Hoping someone else has done this and can prod me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! you would have a different wire harness. The new factory Nav would need other connections like the GPS antenna, speed sensor wire, brake and other wires that you would have run. Might be more of a headache than it's worth.

Yes you can install a 2010 Ford Navigation system, i did the install myself in a 2006 Explorer, you need to order the amp and harness to connect the amplifier from this company http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive/

If you get the amp from another explorer, you would not have worry about getting a reprogram for speed adjustment or any of that non-sense vlad...but if you order navigation system came out from another ford vehicle such a expedition, escape, or edge...then you have to get it reprogram

Just bought an '09 XLT with the standard non-nav head unit (no subwoofer/audiophile, single disc, etc). Want to put a nav unit in, and install a backup camera, and was thinking about the new kenwood unit designed to work with the as-yet unreleased iDatalink Maestro to retain SYNC voice commands and steering wheel controls. Then I realized I can't afford the $1500 it's going to cost me to do that.

So, I had the bright idea that I could get a used nav unit with the built in hard drive from a '10 Explorer.

Has anyone done this? Is it a simple swap out, plug and play, or am I not seeing something? Checked the web and haven't come across anything...

Hoping someone else has done this and can prod me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Hi,

Maestro is now shipping. Didn't see if you ended up with Ford OEM system, but wanted to let you know Maestro is compatible with all Kenwood DNX radios, including the DNX5190 ($749). The MSRP of the complete Maestro setup with optional T-Harness is $225.

While you won't get HDD, you will get extra USB port with video support (buy iPod cable if you want to use IOS device), Pandora, aHA radio, and more.

You can see the exact coverage for your car by doing a search on our website at www.idatalink.com/maestro. Our module also lets you custom assign up to two radio functions to each SW button on your wheel. You can test drive the intuitive web setup process here: http://maestro.idatalink.com/weblink/demo/demo-rr

Best regards,

Mark

i have to agree with mark. a kenwood with the maestro is the way to go.

you will also get much better wound with an aftermarket unit.

Back