How to: - 10 Steps To A Clean Cooling System | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 10 Steps To A Clean Cooling System

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200204/200204.htm
coolsys.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just wondering if you ever heard of Evans NPG coolent,no water involved,it works much the same as the water wetter,just replaces the glycol coolent and water.Bloody expensive however. :D

It's used a lot in race cars and big rigs,it uses no water at all and works really well lowering temps and raising the boiling point with only a 5 psi cap.Supposed to last a long time,up to 500,000 miles in a big rig,but like I said,real expensive.I guess it works out over the life of it,google Evans NPG,it's an interesting read. :D

It's used a lot in race cars and big rigs,it uses no water at all and works really well lowering temps and raising the boiling point with only a 5 psi cap.Supposed to last a long time,up to 500,000 miles in a big rig,but like I said,real expensive.I guess it works out over the life of it,google Evans NPG,it's an interesting read. :D

I'm considering making the switch to Evens NPG+ coolant in my '94 RX-7. Heat is a real issue with the twin turbo rotaries and the Evans has a very high boiling point. It can be used with a zero pressure cap which helps reduce the chance of a pressure related coolant leak. It is about $25 a gallon I think so it is expensive.

PRO's
- very high boiling point
- Environmentally safe (non-toxic)
- Low or No-pressure system
- Superior rust prevention

CON's
- Expensive!
- Cannot mix with water, making the change over difficult.
- Cannot mix with water, making adding coolant in emergency problematic.
- More viscous than water. This means that some changes to thermostats might be needed in some applications.
- In the rotaries at least, higher average reported coolant temps even though it eliminates hot spots in the engine.

I'm considering it for my RX-7, but not my Explorer. It is interesting however.

just a question...

Can anyone post pics of their radiator flush? Sounds silly but I want to make sure I'm doing it right, i.e. connecting the tee to the right hose, etc...Also, FYI it smells so good in the antifreeze reservoir that I'm going to make a martini with the old stuff. Good idea, no?

Great Post BrooklynBay.

Reminds me it is flush time for my system, although it still "looks" pristine since last flush.
I have practiced running the flush with my thermostat out and giving my truck a little drive around (heater on full also) to get some flow velocity to loosen any debris.
I have always use Prestone flush and it seems to do an excellent job.

It's been mentioned in passing a time or two in this thread, but it's important to mention how to properly handle the waste coolant.

You should capture the drained coolant in a drainpan or bucket that has not been used for any other kind of fluid like oil/trans/etc.

If you're going to store it for any length of time be sure to cover it since animals are attracted to it's sweet smell and taste.

DO NOT pour the waste coolant down the sewer or on the ground. Find a local recycler or hazardous waste disposal provider.

I'm planning to do this, and a transmission flush very soon, as I'm over due. Should prove interesting. :)

Back