100W fog light bulb? Good/bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

100W fog light bulb? Good/bad?

I'm new to this so any help will do!

I'm planning on replacing my stock H1 55w fog light bulbs in my 2000 explorer to hyper white ones. I found nice 100w H1's in my local car shop, but will these just melt the current wires or will they be ok without changing the stock harness?

Thanks to all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad for wires, bad for housing.

Ok thanks!

How about the ones that say they Draw 55w but ouput/produce more watts, ex, 100w.... are these safer or no? are they ok as long as the DRAW is 55w?

Thanks!

55w is the max to put in the stock housing. the color and brand is up to you

Ya the ones that say they draw 55 watts are OK.
I dont think you can get a better white light than the Sylvania Silverstars. But if you want bluish color than any will do as long as they are rated 55 watts.
As mentioned above the wiring & the light housing will suffer w/a 100 watt bulb and the bulb being in a small housing will not last long due to the heat. A real no-win situation.

i run a 9007 bulb in my main headlight with a upgraded wireharness and thats it. On my old truck, I ran the same thing in diamond cuts and you can see above the bulb on the housing where the head was burning the inside and turning it brown. I can only imagine what a small h1 bulb could do in that tiny housing burning that hot.

I would maybe swap out your fogs with a housing that might accept h3 bulbs if you want more light

I can do that swap? If i buy a housing for a H3, I can use it to replace my H1 housing with no problem?

And also, H3 gives you more light?

Thanks a lot for all the replies!

I saw a difference in brightness. The h3 bulb is 2x bigger than the h1 bulb so I figured bigger bulb more light?

Back