'13 Explorer AWD/4WD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'13 Explorer AWD/4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading all the great information provided here and knowing that today I am going to try again to go to the mountain, I would like your tips given the following:

I will be driving first up hill on a steep road which is paved. Which setting do you think I should used on the TMS. Last time when I made my first comment here, I use the descent contro system going up which resulted in overheating by the time I went down.

Coming down the mointain on the other side is a longer dowhill since I start at a place that is 1000 mts above sea level but I end up at the beach at sea level therefore the time going down is about twice going up which might result on the overheating again. I will use the descent control system and hope that it does not overheat since I won't use it going up hill.

After reading all the great information provided here and knowing that today I am going to try again to go to the mountain, I would like your tips given the following:

I will be driving first up hill on a steep road which is paved. Which setting do you think I should used on the TMS. Last time when I made my first comment here, I use the descent contro system going up which resulted in overheating by the time I went down.

Coming down the mointain on the other side is a longer dowhill since I start at a place that is 1000 mts above sea level but I end up at the beach at sea level therefore the time going down is about twice going up which might result on the overheating again. I will use the descent control system and hope that it does not overheat since I won't use it going up hill.

going up you should probably be in normal mode if it is a paved dry road. Hill descent only works between 3mph and 20mph, if you want to stay below 20 then you can turn it on to help w/ going downhill, either way you are on a dry paved road, normal mode is best for you.

going up you should probably be in normal mode if it is a paved dry road. Hill descent only works between 3mph and 20mph, if you want to stay below 20 then you can turn it on to help w/ going downhill, either way you are on a dry paved road, normal mode is best for you.
13Sport is correct again. As he mentioned and I have mentioned before in a previous post here, Hill Descent Control only works if vehicle speed is between 3 and 20 mph (5 - 32 km/h). If it is a steep hill you can always try using the manual select shift and the brakes, otherwise I would just leave it in Normal mode.

Peter

thank you peter and 13 sports. I let you know how it went

Likewise, the system is specially calibrated for the Explorer. It had to be re-calibrated for the 2013 Explorer Sport, as its 3.5 liter EcoBoost engine outputs more torque. The system has to take that increase in torque into account.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know anything more about the TMS calibration for the 2013 Sport? I have run across a couple of news articles stating that the Sport had a "rear biased" version of the AWD system--in addition to a number of other calibration changes.

I've also read that the AWD system in the new '13 Fusion was rear biased...but when I inquired with that particular author for more info, I didn't hear back.

TIA!
Tim

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know anything more about the TMS calibration for the 2013 Sport? I have run across a couple of news articles stating that the Sport had a "rear biased" version of the AWD system--in addition to a number of other calibration changes.

I've also read that the AWD system in the new '13 Fusion was rear biased...but when I inquired with that particular author for more info, I didn't hear back.

TIA!
Tim
I haven't looked into the Fusion that deeply but the Ford.ca website shows the two AWD models as having "permanently locked hubs."
Not absolutely sure what that exactly means. Almost sounds like it is AWD full time. I did peak underneath the one in the showroom and the bottom is almost completely covered/enclosed. The only item easily visible was the muffler.

Peter

TIA!
Tim

The four-wheel drive system of the 2013 Explorer Sport was re-calibrated to be more aggressive with torque transfer, but its still mostly front-wheel drive biased. It sends more torque to the rear-wheels under acceleration and/or hard cornering, to aid with handling and road holding. It has to work a bit harder to distribute all 350 lb-ft of torque the engine makes.

The Terrain Management System (TMS) which controls the four-wheel drive system was re-calibrated (or tweaked) to take in account the additional torque as well.

All of the four-wheel drive systems used in the Explorer (U502) regardless if it has the larger EcoBoost or not, can send up to 100 percent of torque to the rear-wheels temporarily, for "temporary rear-wheel drive".

The front:rear torque split is infinite: 100:0 to 0:100, or locked for 50:50

I haven't looked into the Fusion that deeply but the Ford.ca website shows the two AWD models as having "permanently locked hubs."
Not absolutely sure what that exactly means. Almost sounds like it is AWD full time. I did peak underneath the one in the showroom and the bottom is almost completely covered/enclosed. The only item easily visible was the muffler.

Peter

Regarding permanent hubs?

That just means all four wheels are (and always will be) permanently connected to their corresponding drive axle. Some conventional (also known as part-time) four-wheel drive vehicles have front freewheeling hubs which allow the front-wheels to be disconnected from the front drive axle, thus they "free wheel" when four-wheel drive is not in use. This reduces unneeded front axle wear as the axle is not driven by motion, and is said to improve fuel efficiency (though only by a very small amount).

Great info, LocDoc and Peter.

Thank you both!

Regards,
Tim

Back