• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent AWD Gauge

RobD6

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Ltd
Hi guys, I've tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.
In my instrument cluster, I have the option on the left hand side of the instrument cluster to display Intelligent AWD torque delivery to each wheel.
My question is, does it actually show active torque distribution per wheel or is it more of an algorithm that determines based on throttle position and terrain management setting, how much torque "should be" sent to the front/rear axle. And does it actually differentiate between R/L wheel on the axle? Even on slippery conditions, it consistently shows similar readings to me.
Just to clarify, I'm not questioning the AWD system of the car, I've read the posts clarifying how the system works. (Personally, the torque steer under acceleration is killing me, but that's a rant for another day)

Thank you!

Service Manual Description of the AWD Gauge:

AWD Gauge
The AWD gauge displays the level of power applied to each wheel. The IPC uses the following inputs to determine the AWD gauge display:
wheel torque data
AWD lock torque
engine rpm data
speedometer fault
As power is applied to the wheels, the area directly in front of each displayed wheel begin to fill in. The lowest power displayed is the closest to the wheel. As the amount of power sent to the wheels increases, the area fills in either forward (front wheels) or rearward (rear wheels) of the wheels.

Based on what I have seen its front and rear not each individual wheel which makes sense if you think about how the system actually works. The AWD system isn't supplying power to each individual wheel but front versus rear and then other vehicle features controls slippage, braking, etc.

Welcome to the Forum RobD6. :wave:

Peter

Jason, Thank you!
This is great info!

Back