15 vs 16 wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15 vs 16 wheels

I will be replacing the stock tires on 15x7 rims, in the next few months. What is the deal between 15 and 16 inch wheels. Do I go with a 15x8 aftermarket wheel or a 16x7 oem wheel. I'll be driving the truck mostly on the street and some beach and light off road stuff. Any direction would be great.

The only difference is that you can fit a wider tire on a 8" rim. But if you go with the 16's the tires will be more expensive.

If your just lightly abusing i'd use the stockers, they can handle it. But otherwise, go with the 15x8's

There are more differences than you think. The width and offset of any wheel will determine the width of the tire that one coud run.
Most common differences:
16" tires do cost more, but the load ratings are higher; and with the more plies, the longer the tire will last.
16" wheels do handle so much better on the street then the exact 15" counterpart. If you take the exact same tire and wheel package but make one a 15" wheel and one a 16" wheel, then run them on the same rig you will tell a night and day difference. The 16s track straight and true, do not follow ruts as bad, ride better, and handle better as well. The sidewall on a 16 will be 1/2" shorter so technically there is a possibility of more rim damage off-road as some would argue (I'm running 17s on an off-roader). I've ran everything from a stock wheel to aftermarket 15", 16" and 17" wheels.

Back