1500 Silverado Crew Cab Rear Axle Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1500 Silverado Crew Cab Rear Axle Swap

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I don't have anything going with the Explorer, but I do have with another vehicle. I have a 2008 Crew Cab 5.3 V8 4L60E trans Silverado 1500 that I bought new. It's a great truck. Very comfortable, easy to drive, smooth on the highway for a truck, etc. Plenty of power from that old school push rod V8 and the trans is an electronic version of the 700R4 so very stout. It's only got 142,000 miles on it, and the engine has about 50,000. It started burning oil at 85,000 miles while still under warranty. My brother worked at a Chevy dealership, same one I bought it from. They usually replace the heads, or the pistons and rings for that. My brother warrantied it for both fixes, so the only thing not replaced was the crankshaft. The truck is a keeper. I also like it because the engineers seemed to have practicality in mind when they designed it. Everything is where you think it should be.

The only thing I don't like about it is it has rear drum brakes and a weak rear 10 bolt axle (8.6"). I downshift on grades, but the drums suffer from severe brake fade, and warping. I have gone through three drums, not from wear, but from warping. I have used it since it was new to pull the horse trailers, our boat, and other trailers. It has a tow rating of 7,700 pounds and I stay under that.

I recently started getting a little chattering when accelerating from a stop up to about 10 MPH, which can only mean the G80 GovLock is failing. It's a weird locker that runs off inertia and only works up to 20 MPH. They are prone to failure with the 10 bolts. There were some models of the 1500 that had a 6.2 liter engine and a 14 bolt rear axle. The 14 bolt is a very strong axle. They are six lug bolt pattern, same as the rest of the 1500's, have disc brakes, and are about as bolt in as any axle swap can be. I shopped around and located one in Corona, California with only 78,000 miles on the donor truck. Drove up today, looked at and bought it. This one was out of a 2010 LTZ model, same gear ratio as my current axle, and with posi-traction. They removed the diff cover, and it looks very nice in there. The soft brake lines look great, and from what I understand they are the same lines as the 10 bolt. They threw in the U-bolts and plates, park brake lines, drive shaft, basically all the attachments. It even has the factory helper air bags that appear intact. All of that with a 90 day warranty. The cost of the axle was less than it would have cost me to replace the locker in my 8.6 diff. Win-Win.

The plan is, after I get someone to help me get the 550 pound axle out of the back of my truck and onto my 4 wheel cart, is to clean it up, paint it, pull the brakes apart, and check the calipers. I already ordered new Powerstop slotted rotors and pads. The brake lines are the same as the 10 bolt, and have the same ABS sensors. Same axle width, same spring perches, etc. The only real difference is the U-joints on the driveshaft and the yoke. I think the 14 bolt has 1350's and the 10 bolt has 1330's. The donor was a 4wd, mine is a 2wd, so the driveshaft will not swap over, and this one has a big dent in it anyway. From what I have found on-line, I can change the yoke to the 10 bolt yoke and that should work, or I can get a adaptor U-joint. The only issue that might come up is if the pinyon output is too long for my drive shaft, but from what I have seen with a bunch of swaps on-line, its not an issue. I hope not, because it has an aluminum composite drive shaft, and you can't just take them to the local drive shaft shop and get them shortened. I'll get some rough measurements soon to see if that's going to be a potential problem.

I'm excited to get rid of the only potential issue with that truck, and get rid of the drum brakes. I think the only fabrication I will have to do is make some upper air bag mounts. They were not attached, and I forgot to ask about them. Looking at pictures, it appears they are part of a different cross member than I have. They take the place of the bump stop mounts so I think I can modify those. Air bags is something I did not plan on, but now that I have them...... If they hold air, they are getting installed. I'll call the yard tomorrow and ask about the upper mounts.
20230831_133623.jpg

What sucks is I have been waiting on any big mods or work on vehicles until I get the Arizona house built. With the 45x55 shop and two-post lift it would make this job a lot easier, but I will have to do one more driveway axle swap. I would also like to add if you need any used truck parts in Southern California, call Indiana Truck Salvage in Corona and ask for Troy.

Notes on the swap:
This is a swap for a 2008 Crew Cab (4 door), short bed (5'8") two-wheel drive 1500 Silverado with the 5.3 V8 and a 10 bolt, 8.6" rear axle.
Donor vehicle is a 2010 Crew Cab 1500, standard bed (6'5"), four-wheel drive 1500 Silverado with the 6.2 V8 and a 14 bolt, 9.5" rear axle.

It is an almost direct bolt in swap. The 14 bolt that was in this generation of Silverado's with the larger 6.2 engine is sometimes referred to as a "baby 14 bolt". It is not the same as the full float 14 bolt, which have a larger housing and ring gear. This axle is semi-float with C-clips and 9.5" gears. A 2008-2013 donor truck is what I recommend. I found mine through car-part.com search at a salvage yard. Some of the 2014 and up 14 bolts have a 9.75" ring gear. The axles have the same housings and look identical, but nothing internal is interchangeable. No aftermarket support, no aftermarket lockers/carriers available, and limited gearing options. The 9.5" gear 14 bolts have lots of aftermarket support.

Get the VIN of the donor vehicle, write it down somewhere handy, like in your owner's manual. GM made at least two axles for this generation of Silverado. Finding parts is confusing as most on-line vendors don't list the axles the parts fit. You can call any GM dealership and get OEM part numbers with the VIN.

Axles are the same width.
Brake lines and ABS wires are the same on both vehicles.
U-bolts, plates and nuts are the same on both vehicles.
Both are 6 lug bolt pattern (same).
Shock mounts are the same.
Bump stops and plates are in the same location. If axle comes with air bags, need both top and bottom brackets and they replace the bump stops.
10 bolt Drive shaft does bolt to the yoke of the 14 bolt, but the 14 bolt is a little bit longer.

Two parts are different:
Drive shaft will need to be shortened 1" to regain the slip yoke play. This might be different with a 4x4 model, might have more play in the slip yokes. If your aluminum drive shaft has welded ends, it can be shortened.
Park brake cables are about a foot longer but the sheaths are the same length and mount exactly the same. Will need the intermediate park brake cable off the donor, or shorten your existing cable. I did not pull the park brake cables on my old axle to see if they would fit. It will be easier to shorten the intermediate park brake cable if they are the same on both trucks.

If your old axle is failing, like mine is (G80 locker is clunking), ask the junk yard if they will take it for scrap. They will usually take them off your hands and if saves figuring out what to do with them.

If you have a lift and a helper, and a modified drive shaft, I imagine you could get this swap finished in 2-4 hours. The added braking power of the rear discs is worth the swap all by itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might give them a call. I'm looking for a roller 351W block.

Nice came with the airbags!

10 bolt never should have been used in half of these rigs over the years I have crushed a lot of 10 bolts helping friends do this upgrade. They put the 10 bolt in the back of the Yukon for heavens sake

Harbor freight $8 furniture dollies really good for moving axles around and getting them positioned

@410
Does the 10 bolt driveshaft fit the 14 bolt? The yokes appear to be the same.

I never understood why they put a 10 bolt with drum brakes in a truck with a 7,700 pound tow rating.

Bolt in swap yes
Probably need new u bolts otherwise cheap upgrade

The JY sent me pictures of the upper air bag mounts. Looks like they are mounted to the bump stop bracket by a single bolt. He's taking them off today, but he doesn't ship. Looks like I'll be taking another road trip to Corona soon. I'm getting as much of the air line as they can pull as well.
IMG_1727.jpg

Wasn't thinking air bags when I was there so my punishment is another drive up the I-15.

Picture of my truck. The only thing I have done to it is the new blacked out headlights, as the originals were yellowed and I always thought there was too much chrome on the front, and KYB struts with coils and shocks. The KYB's made a huge difference in ride quality. Rest of what I have done is routine maintenance. I have been looking at touch screen head units, amps and speakers, but those can wait a little longer. I love the color as it doesn't show dirt, this pic is after it has been sitting outside for two weeks. The paint is in good shape because it's been in two accidents and everything but the roof and one of the rear doors has been repainted.
20230901_104813.jpg

That is beautiful.

That’s an 08? Wow looks much newer

My good buddy has a 2018 Silverado 1500 5.3 with the displacement on demand, that truck is awesome! It’s a 4 door and tows like a 2500
However I keep teasing him he’s on borrowed time with a Chevy 5.3 hahhahaha oil pressure issues for some of these newer ones

Did some rough measuring today. The yokes are the same width, and look to both take 1350 U-joints. The center of the axle tubes to the yoke are within a inch of each other.

Air bags hold air, and replacement bags are available and reasonably priced. Worth adding in my opinion as they remove bounce when towing.

Once I replace the rear axle, it will be better than a 2500 because I'm averaging 20 MPH with a V8.

One other thing I don't like is it's limited at 90 MPH. It's not that I'm driving around hitting the limiter all day, it's that it takes away an option when dealing with a-holes. I would rather have the option to outrun them, but every car can do 90. Engine isn't even close to recline when it cuts out. Without a limiter I think it could do at least 120.

I'm sure not getting any younger. I parked the truck in the street with the back over the sidewalk so its lower to the ground. Got some cardboard pieces under the points of contact and slid the diff until it tipped. When it made contact on another piece of cardboard on the driveway, I slid the other end off the tailgate then had to lower it to a 4 wheel cart I have. Dang that suckers heavy. It will stay on that cart until I roll it under the truck. Opened it up while it was still in the truck. Everything does what it's supposed to do. Oil is clean, like it was recently serviced before it got wrecked.

I sprayed it down with Purple Power and got all the grime off. I'll paint the center section, and the cover and leave the rest alone.

The brake parts won't get here until next week. I'm going to pull the old brake pads and rotors, check the park brake shoes and calipers/parts. I think I will remove the air bags for now. When the parts come in I can do the swap, and then if I need anything else off the donor, I have to go there anyway for the upper air bag mounts.

I put a 1500lb crane in the bed of my flatbed f350 let it do all the heavy lifting and lowering anymore

Well done this far! Chevys need love too

I pulled the brakes apart and removed the air bags. The pads look new, just some rust from the rusty rotor. The passenger side rotor was stuck to the park brake shoe so I had to use my puller bolts to get it to break loose. Park brake shoes and hardware look fine, maybe half worn. They are easy to replace compared to Fords so I won't change them until they are worn out, which will probably be never. They only have two bolt down clips to hold the shoes in place and it's all accessible with the axle installed. Calipers are showing their age, but are functional. I had used sheet metal screws to close off the cut off end of the brake lines. I C-clamped the caliper pistons down until they wouldn't move against the brake pressure in the lines. I loosened the corresponding screw and nice clean brake fluid squirted out the other end of the brake lines. Axle seals are not leaking, but I ordered new seals and decided to replace them. That's really all I can do for now except some wire brushing then painting the center section. Waiting on parts.

I put a 1500lb crane in the bed of my flatbed f350 let it do all the heavy lifting and lowering anymore

Well done this far! Chevys need love too
I have one neighbor who's a car guy. I forget he has a cherry picker. I stopped by to say hi while walking the dog and saw it in his garage. I could have rolled it over to my house and pulled that axle out without risking life and limb.

I've been having trouble with parts searches for this axle. Most of the on line sites and vendors, even the large chain stores, Amazon, eBay and Rock Auto, have the wrong axle listed. When I punch in 2010 1500 Silverado with the 6.2, it should only bring up this axle, but it lists the 10 bolt. The sites that show both axles do not detail which axle the listed parts fit. I'm trying to find the axle seal part number for now, but I can see this is going to be a reoccurring theme. I'm going to see if the JY will provide me with the donor vehicle VIN. Brother works at a Chevrolet dealership in Phoenix as a service advisor so he can search part numbers for me when I need them.

Is the 14 bolt a full floating axle? If it was used in the 2500, might find it that way. I'm wondering if National 710568 is the seal you're looking for?

It's a semi-float with C-clips, 9.5" gears. I don't think it was in the 2500 series. The full float 14 bolts have 10.5" and 11.5" gears, as far as I can tell. They also have a larger housing than mine.

Wire wheeled the cover and gave it a couple coats of etching primer, then FDE. I started painting all my covers FDE with the Explorer. Won't be noticeable with this truck, but I like the color.
20230904_141331.jpg

The 9.5 gears are in all pre 2014 semi-float 14 bolts. In 2014 and newer there some that have 9.75" gears. You can't tell the difference by looking at them. No aftermarket parts, limited gear sets, etc. I have 3.73 gears which were not available with the 9.75" axles, so I know I got the right one.

I was going to have a shop do this swap a couple of years ago. They had a semi-float 14 bolt all ready. They called me and said nothing he ordered fits the axle, and he had to do some research to find there were 9.75" geared units out there. He couldn't locate a 9.5" 6 lug at the time so I put it on the back burner. This is working out better because it's saving me about $2,000 doing it myself. I'll be all in at $1,500 and gas money if it goes to plan. The disc brakes conversion for the 10 bolt costs that much.

I called the JY, and told him I was having trouble sourcing parts without the VIN. He asked me if anything was wrong with the axle. I told him I wanted to change the axle seals as a maintenance item since its been sitting for a while. He said he has had it for five months, and if its not leaking he would appreciate me not messing with it until it's off the 90 day warranty. With that advice, I decided to run it as is. He will send me the VIN in a day or two for future reference. The brake pads and rotors are supposed to show Thursday. I'll have everything then to do the swap and will hopefully begin Friday.

I'll edit the first thread with any details about the swap so anyone doing a quick search will find the Explorer forum as a source for info on a Chevrolet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it swapped except for the plumbing. Everything does just bolt right up, all the parts are the same. The park brake cables and brake lines, even the ABS plugs are all the same and in the same places. It was going to be the easiest swap I have ever done, until.....

The driveshaft had a 1-3/8" showing at the yoke, now it's got 3/8" showing. That's not enough for me when the axle is hanging on the springs. I called San Diego Driveshaft Pro's. They are the shop I have used over the years, and they do all kinds of specialty stuff. They said if the ends of mine are welded, they can shorten it an inch no problem. They are welded, but it is one of those super lightweight aluminum driveshafts. I'm going to pull it and take it over there tomorrow. Have them change the U-joints while it's there.

I would have had this wrapped up tomorrow, but now I bet it will take another week. I knew it was going too good to be true.
Old axle out
20230907_132410.jpg

New axle in
20230907_152846.jpg

The brake pads and rotors should show up sometime today. I guess I can take my time now. I had ordered a Lube Locker gasket from Lube Locker last week. I got a confirmation email, but nothing after that. After five days, I emailed them asking what the deal is and if it shipped. No response and no way to track it without downloading some "Shop" app, which I am not doing. No response for two days, so I went on Amazon and ordered the only gasket I could find for this axle, a FelPro, because it will be here tomorrow. Of course, the Lube Locker showed up today. Their lack of communication cost me money, not cool.

I'll do everything else and get it sitting on the ground over the weekend. The JY said they can scrap my old axle so I don't have to mess with that.

Back