'17 Lock Settings - Namely Autounlock? Child Safety Locks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'17 Lock Settings - Namely Autounlock? Child Safety Locks?

missin44

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I'm having issues understanding the various function of the lock settings, or to be more accurate getting them to work as I understand they should;

1. Autolock function seems to work as it should. - No issue there
2. Autounlock seems to do nothing. It's my understanding the with this armed all 4 doors should unlock assuming: A. Driven above 12 mph. B. Come to a stop and switch car off. C. Open drivers door within 10 min & all 4 doors unlock.
3. Relock seems to work as advertised. No issue.

Child Safety Locks came from the dealer engaged, slot at 12 & 6 o'clock position. To disengage turn counter clockwise to have slot at 9 & 6 o'clock position using key stowed in key fob (note - the key will not fully slide into the slot, only about a 1/4"). So far I can't see that this does anything. In disabling it I thought that I could open the rear door by: A. Simply pulling the handle even with door locked. B. Pulling up on the lock plunger. Neither works, I still have to unlock rear doors from the front.

Question, what am I missing on both Autolock & Child Safety locks?

panel.jpg

I'm having issues understanding the various function of the lock settings, or to be more accurate getting them to work as I understand they should;

1. Autolock function seems to work as it should. - No issue there
2. Autounlock seems to do nothing. It's my understanding the with this armed all 4 doors should unlock assuming: A. Driven above 12 mph. B. Come to a stop and switch car off. C. Open drivers door within 10 min & all 4 doors unlock.
3. Relock seems to work as advertised. No issue.

Child Safety Locks came from the dealer engaged, slot at 12 & 6 o'clock position. To disengage turn counter clockwise to have slot at 9 & 6 o'clock position using key stowed in key fob (note - the key will not fully slide into the slot, only about a 1/4"). So far I can't see that this does anything. In disabling it I thought that I could open the rear door by: A. Simply pulling the handle even with door locked. B. Pulling up on the lock plunger. Neither works, I still have to unlock rear doors from the front.

Question, what am I missing on both Autolock & Child Safety locks?

View attachment 154388

An update on child safety locks. My owners manual states: Right Hand Side turn clockwise to lock and counterclockwise to unlock. Left-Hand Side turn counterclockwise to lock and clockwise to unlock.

In my case at least for the right door it's opposite of what is stated in manual, at least for the right side. I'll check on the left side tomorrow. I suspect that this may be effecting the Autounlock feature.

On auto unlock, make sure that you've toggled that switch on and off. It might reset a bit in the BCM that is accidentally disabling that feature.

That said, auto-unlock should be automatically kicking off as soon as one of the front doors is opened, so it does seem like the fault is the car, not your understanding.

Back