18" vs 20" wheels? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" vs 20" wheels?

Hi, I got them on ebay for $800, brand new, from a guy who went aftermarket.
And then I bought the tires from tirerack.com

I ordered the same tire size the LTD version comes with (NOT hankook), so theres no noticeable overall diameter, heres what I got from the tire size calculator...

Original tire (245/60R18)
Sidewall: 5.79 in
Radius: 14.79 in
Diameter: 29.57 in
Circumf: 92.91 in
Revs/mile: 681.94
New Tire (255/50R20)
Sidewall: 5.02 in
Radius: 15.02 in
Diameter: 30.04 in
Circumf: 94.37 in
Revs/mile: 671.39

Speedometer reading with new tire is 1.57% too slow.
When your speedometer is reading 60mph you are actually traveling 60.93mph

I can live with 1.57% :)

It can be reprogrammed by the dealer so that it will be accurate, if you want to go that route.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Razziel24,

What kind of deal did you get on the rims on Ebay? Also, how are you comensating the speedometer on the vehicle with different size wheels then what it came from the factory with? I'm contemplating this change on mine by the way.
You can compensate by putting on the right sized tire. I have 20" wheels but will be putting 17" steel ones on for winter. Using a 245/65R17 tire will result in my speedo reading 1 mph fast at 60 mph.

You also have to be very careful that the wheels you get are for the 2011 Explorer. For instance a 17" ($84 CDN) steel wheel for the 2010 is not the same as the 17" ($174 CDN) steel wheel for the 2011. I'm still trying to get an explanation from the service guys as to what the difference is but the last time I checked they didn't have the specs yet.

I'm a bit curious how they can already offer reconditioned 2011 Explorer wheels when the originals have only been out for a few months. Exactly what was the problem with these reconditioned wheels in the first place?

Some people go aftermarket and sell their OEM wheels. Thats how I got my 20's

Some people go aftermarket and sell their OEM wheels. Thats how I got my 20's
Okay, I understand. I was obviously interpreting 'reconditioned' to mean that there was something wrong with them initially. Thanks for clearing that up.

As I mentioned in another post, I doubt you can request the 20" wheels since they are not an 'option' available for the XLT. If wheels were an option, I probably would have ordered 17" ones for my Limited. Much less expensive tires and likely a little better ride.

yes, 20" is an available option for XLT, cost about $1,200 but i don't think they are the same as those standard on the Limiteds (polished vs painted).

Hi, I got them on ebay for $800, brand new, from a guy who went aftermarket.
And then I bought the tires from tirerack.com

I ordered the same tire size the LTD version comes with (NOT hankook), so theres no noticeable overall diameter, heres what I got from the tire size calculator...

New Tire (255/50R20)

I can live with 1.57% :)

What are you doing about the TPMS sensors?

theyre being transferred to the new wheels

yes, 20" is an available option for XLT, cost about $1,200 but i don't think they are the same as those standard on the Limiteds (polished vs painted).

I opted to not get them. I can get nice looking aftermarket 20s for $1600 or so with tires. Then I have two sets.

The 20's are standard on the Limited. They look and ride great, and replacement tires are not that expensive anymore.

"I ordered the same tire size the LTD version comes with (NOT hankook), so theres no noticeable overall diameter, heres what I got from the tire size calculator...

New Tire (255/50R20)

I can live with 1.57% :)"

So, without recalibration, if you drive with the 20's at a constant 60mph for 10 hours (600 miles on the odometer) you have actually driven 609.42 miles. Right? And, therefore, 60,000 on the odometer is really 60,942?

Bonus question: If it is raining and another new Explorer is driven at the same speed and mileage, but in the opposite direction, on what day will they both attend the Packers game? Clue: Explorer No. 2 is Black in color.

:)

"I ordered the same tire size the LTD version comes with (NOT hankook), so theres no noticeable overall diameter, heres what I got from the tire size calculator...

New Tire (255/50R20)

I can live with 1.57% :)"

So, without recalibration, if you drive with the 20's at a constant 60mph for 10 hours (600 miles on the odometer) you have actually driven 609.42 miles. Right? And, therefore, 60,000 on the odometer is really 60,942?

Bonus question: If it is raining and another new Explorer is driven at the same speed and mileage, but in the opposite direction, on what day will they both attend the Packers game? Clue: Explorer No. 2 is Black in color.

:)

Sunday, but who wants to go to a Packers game?

If you live in the city with a lot of potholes, larger rims with smaller tires are easily broken by potholes. I saw an Escalade on its knees after it hit a pothole. It's also easy to damage when you accidently hit the curb. The 20 inch wheels also ride a bit rough before they warm up. It's very hard on your suspension because there's less pillow between the ground and the rim. No cushion =(. The bigger wheels also makes it harder to accelerate (Look at the Sport Edge with 22s vs Edge with 18 - 20s).
Anyway it's your call. If you want my opinion. I'd stick with 18s + they handle better in snow and mud.

Definitely 20"

Both my husband and I recently got 2011 Explorers. We had the same question when we first started looking and went into it assuming the 18" would be fine.

When we actually saw a few Explorers at the dealership we compared the two. We both chose the 20".

It depends on what's more important to you. If you're looking for performance, stability and less mileage over time, I guess the popular answer is to go for the 18"-although I honestly don't know if you'd notice the difference. If you're more interested in appearance, the 20" tires fit the vehicle much better. Because of the Explorer's size, the 18" appear dwarfed but the 20" match the car perfectly.

I disagree with the "ghetto" comment, 20" tires look "ghetto" if you're driving a pinto, not an Explorer.

We both got the XLT. My husband special ordered his with 20" tires. I found my XLT at a local dealership with all the specs I wanted-included were the 20" tires.

I'll tell you that my ride is as smooth as a Cadillac. Potholes, even big puddles feel like you're driving over minuscule pebbles.

Good luck!

....We both got the XLT.......

you guys bought 2 new cars at the same time? if i had as much money (or maybe even half or less) as you have, i would choose the 20" without thinking much...:D

I've had my Limited for about two-weeks now. I like the 20's that came on it; they look great and handle fantastic for a truck(sic). My '02 had 17's. They rode fine and I NEVER had a wheel lip scuff from kissing a curb. Not that I'm a careless driver, but I've already scuffed the rim on the right rear. The 20's cut you no slack when it comes to curbs. Enjoy the handling, but retrain yourself on making right turns.

A.) 20" or larger wheels look "ghetto"

B.) I used to live in Union. Trust me, you'll be happier with the 18"s. With all the bumps, potholes, choppy pavement,etc..., the 20"s will rattle your teeth, and put more wear/stress on the suspension/chassis

I don't know, I guess it's a matter of opionin. I have the 20's and we have been very happy with the ride quality of our new X. Its much smoother, In my opinion that our 2008 Limited. And man-o-man do they look good! I have black-on black with polished factory 20's and they are sweet. The tires suck from what I've heard, but the wife and kids don't do a lot of off-roading anyway...at least not that I know of???:)

-Matt

I don't know, I guess it's a matter of opionin. I have the 20's and we have been very happy with the ride quality of our new X. Its much smoother, In my opinion that our 2008 Limited. And man-o-man do they look good! I have black-on black with polished factory 20's and they are sweet. The tires suck from what I've heard, but the wife and kids don't do a lot of off-roading anyway...at least not that I know of???:)

-Matt
It would make sense that the 20" would ride somewhat harder than the 18" since there is less sidewall to absorb any impact felt by the tire. I have the 20s on mine and am hoping to put the 17" steel wheels on for Winter. I'll see if I notice much of a difference in the ride then. FYI, I replaced the OEM tires with Yokohamas the day I picked up the Ex.

Peter

Curious how are the Yokohamas performing for you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

Curious how are the Yokohamas performing for you?
The Yokohama Parada Spec-X are great. The thing I like is that they have a little more aggressive tread pattern than the OEMs. That is one thing I wanted seeing as how March and sometimes April can still bring some good snowfalls. Drove on some wet roads a few days ago and they felt solid. Come Fall I'm still looking at getting 17"steel wheels and dedicated Winter tires, likely the Yokohama Geolander I/T G072. After reading the customer reviews on 1010tire.com and the tire rack, I haven't been able to dispute any of the positive reviews.:thumbsup:

Back