• Register Today It's free!

18's

Viggen2002

Reaction score
City, State
Radford, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XL
Hey, anyone out there run a lowered Exploder with 18's? I am thinking about the Explorer Express kit and putting 18" Cobra R's. If someone is running 18's, what size tire are you running? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A good size would be 255/55/18.

That's what comes stock on the saleen ex's.

Oh by the way where are you looking to get the cobra's?

I am at this very minute looking at some on ebay. I just can't decide either 17's or 18's. What do you think?

Ya is it Mounty.....somethin, somethin?

Guy w/ a two tone red mounaineer?

If so, already seen it. Too expensive.

If not, would like to see it. Let me know Heath...

I have Axis Vector wheels 18"x9" I think zero offset. Tires are 265/60 18. truck is lowered 1 1/2" and the front tires barely rub when going in reverse and turning, they catch the chrome edge of my bumper.....the big tires look good though. Dom

Cobra R Wheels At Explorer Express

We have the Cobra R Replica Wheels. They have a slightly different offset than stock and do not require spacers. They may only rub on the sway bar when turning lock to lock.

18 x 9 Cobra R Replica Silver.........$209.95ea. +shipping
18 x 9 Cobra R Replica Chrome.....$329.95ea. +shipping
(These are special prices for web site members)

The recommended tire size 285/50-18

John V @ EE

Attachments

• cobrar web.jpg
    cobrar web.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 177

The recommended tire size 285/50-18
-

really??? that tire size is a monster.... almost 12" wide and 29.4" tall..... talk about robbing HP and rear inner fender rub!!

I have 275/55/17's and my X and they are 29.1" tall and around 11" wide.... I had to beat the rear inner fenders in to clear the tires on my lowered X.

I am soon planning on going to a smaller 275x50x17

Power robbing?.....Not really. The 275/55-17 has a 29.1" OD and the 285/50-18 has a 29.2" OD. This is very close to the original tire OD.

As far as the rubbing on the inner fender at the rear, it depends on the offset of the wheel you choose. We have experienced this first hand on a lowered 1999 XLT using the tire/wheel combo that I mentioned previously. We have no rubbing problems. The aftermarket Cobra Wheel has a different offset and is cataloged as fitting Explorers.

John V @ EE

Back