1987 Ranger stepside bed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1987 Ranger stepside bed.

MrFiend138

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has every seen this done or know if it can be done.

I was just given an 87 ford ranger single cab for free by one of my buddies, needs a new freeze plug and radiator, other than that it needs a new bed.

As we all know the older rangers rot and rust like an S.O.B.

I'd like to put a sidestep bed on it tho, 1987 didn't have sidestep beds.
I have seen some people put newer s10 sidestep beds on the older body s10's, is there any way to put like a 94 sidestep ranger bed on my 87 ranger!

something I put together in photoshop real fast, but this is what I'd like to do, does anyone know if it can be done!!!

rangerstepside.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well that pic is an 89, all I could find online to photoshop , but my 87 isn't to bad for being free, but I want to make a stepside like in the pic

If the bed mounts are the same, and the length is right, it should be a bolt-on affair.

Of course, even if the mounting points aren't the same, you can always drill holes and/or add support rails under the bed, so it doesn't really matter much if the length is right.

My guess would be that the 93-97 beds will pop right on, since the chassis didn't change a whole heck of a lot from the 89-92 model, and the bed mounts might have carried over from the later first gens.

Find the bed you want to use, and at worst, it's a custom mount job.

Be sure to get the matching rear bumper and it should be pretty cool, your ride will look totally different from the front and the back.

I'd bet most any Ranger bed would bolt right up assuming bed length and cab size are the same on both trucks.

these are the same things I was thinking, which is good!
also wanna put a 4 inche lift, so nothing to big and some 31" or 33" tires,

thanks alot guys for your input

87 Southern Coach

I have a step side factory made Ford ranger that has a fiberglass box red and gray, now it has 6 1/2 suspension 3inch body on 36 in swamper 14.50 wide on beadlocks motor fully buiet 4o over shaved heads oversized vaules ill get some pics posted if wanted?

..Definitely..:D

..It would be desirable to start your own thread too as I'm sure there will be a lot of interest in it and it's pictures..:biggthump

Fellow Ranger fan here! Subscribing! :popcorn:

Back