1992 4x4 Explorer no cold start and more.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 4x4 Explorer no cold start and more....

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Thanks in advance, we are stumped..

1992 Explorer 4x4 4.0 OHV

Temperature dropped for the first time this winter, below 30 degrees, and she would not start.

We are getting zero codes, Key on running or not....nada....zilch....

I checked everything, cleaned the IAC, replaced the IAT, the coolant sensor was less than a year old, has gas..

Started with starting fluid ran well, warmed up, shut down, started again a hour later, but next morning? Crank and Crank and crank. Will not cold start without juice (Ether)

Tested for spark (YES), fuel pressure (YES, she is not draining back) FPR is good. All good.

Park in a warm garage at night? Starts fine. Leave it outside when the temp goes way down...nothing...

So? I am leaning toward the ECC....but if that is bad, how come it EVER will start? Help, love my old gal and she is well maintained!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't help, except to bump the thread for you.

Thanks! Will post results when I get them.....I am thinking that besides spark and gas an engine also needs compression and timing to fire.....maybe the Crankshaft pulley sensor, when real cold (10-15 degress or less) signal gets lost....(sound of hair being pulled out)....;)

how ur battery if it doesn't have enough Cold Cranking Amps CCA it won't turn the engine. when u start it with ether is it sluggish or slow to start. that's a possibility on why it starts in the garage and not outside

Hi, thanks for your reply 92! Actually the battery is fine, it just was cranking and cranking when cold. Starting fluid fired here, but not immediately.

Anyway, I am told it is the ICM......replacing that and will wait until more 5 degree weather to let you know.

Apparently the ICM *can* bee effected, over time, so that extreme cold causes it to fail....? Not sure.....:(

So after replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) my explorer seems to be much better, starts fine and my MPG, which had been slowly getting worse is back to more or less normal. I took a 100 mile highway trip yesterday and clocked 21 MPG at avg. 75 miles per hour. IF that is even close, I am doing much better! I am testing around town now, where I typically get 200 miles per tank :( will let you know.....

I attribute this to better combustion, more accurate timing etc. as the old ICM was failing and frankly not doing it's jobs.

It is funny as this all happened slowly, about 2 years ago I noticed some pinging, could not pinpoint it, slowly MPG's went down and finally cold starting became hard or impossible. Interesting symptoms, I did replace about everything else I could before the ICM, so that must help as well.

I am told the ICM will not throw a code...?

Since you hear the pump when you turn the ignition on I doubt its pump or relay. The issue might not even be fuel related. Ignition?

check the mas air flow to see what it reads. i think you will find it is reading higher altitude then you are .this makes it run lean and in cold weather it may not start . the new icm read the mass air as it is now .you could have reset the old icm to get the same thing . you will find as the new icm learns the same problem will work it way back. the only trouble code we had work in was the o2 was coding lean every year and a half .but it may not throw a code because it is doing the right fuel mix for where it thinks it is good luck with it

no start.....?

Do you have an anti theft device on this year ?
If so when you try to start , does the light blink fast ?? 8x per second..
then itsyour PATS acting up...

Back