• Register Today It's free!

1992 A4LD Transmission problem.

YOUNGIAM

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear Lake Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
My son has a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT4X4. I have searched this forum backwards and forwards and can not seem to find the problem that his truck is having??? He was leaving work at one of the local ski resorts we have here and was trying to get over a berm shifting from foward to reverse and all of a sudden the trans went from drive to nothing at all (this is how he explained it to me?). The truck will start out in 2nd gear and when he gets to about 15 mph he can put it in drive and it will shift through the gears fine, reverse also works. So we replaced the vacuum modulator, nothing. Adjusted the bands, nothing. Changed out the pan filter (fluid was fine and didn't smell burnt, he just changed it last summer) and added new trans fluid and some Lucas Trans fix, nothing. Still the same, start out in second and put it in drive once he hits about 15 miles per hr and everything works good. Since we dont have the money to shell out to fix this problem what should be our next step we should take?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift cable is alright. Kickdown cable seem to be working in conjuction with the throttle cable.

Well it is shifting through all the gears, Just seems like it is slipping in 1st, drive and overdrive untill he gets going about 15 mph in 2nd than he can put it in drive and it will go through the gears fine.

Nope it happens all the time, warm or cold.

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks I will let you know.

Back