1993 134a recharge done, how did I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 134a recharge done, how did I do?

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
City, State
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
I just finished replacing the compressor o-rings with HNBR and doing an evac and recharge on my '93 Sport. It was my first time using a manifold gauge set and dong more than a top off, so I am a little green. I couldn't find any system capacity spec for the 1st gens, just one for a '94 which was 22oz of 134a.

1.) Does my '93 have the same capacity as a '94?

I got between 1 1/3 to 1 3/4 cans(so 16-21) of 134a in the system with pressures swinging around ~30-50 low and ~140-180 high with the compressor cycling about every minute while idling in the driveway. Vent temps stayed right around 39-41°F with ambient around ~67-70.

2.) The low side pressure and vent temps seem on-target, but the high side pressure seems about 50psi low from the reports I have seen. Do I need to add more refrigerant?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you put any oil in the system?

I am getting ready to do the same thing, so anybody with experience, please chime in.

Nope, no extra oil. Many years ago it got a cheap 134a conversion kit(gasp!) when I didn't know jack about A/C systems. It got the included charge of ester in addition to the original stuff. If anything, it probably has too much. At least the oil was still clean and clear when I had the compressor off today. I know it should be flushed and completely gone through with a new drier and oil, etc, but I need to run it the way it is for right now.

you need to run it with oil, period, or your compressor will die

I said there is oil in it.

I just finished replacing the compressor o-rings with HNBR and doing an evac and recharge on my '93 Sport. It was my first time using a manifold gauge set and dong more than a top off, so I am a little green. I couldn't find any system capacity spec for the 1st gens, just one for a '94 which was 22oz of 134a.

1.) Does my '93 have the same capacity as a '94?
<snip>

2.) The low side pressure and vent temps seem on-target, but the high side pressure seems about 50psi low from the reports I have seen. Do I need to add more refrigerant?

#1, AFAIK, yes.. BUT I just put in full 2 cans in our '92..

#2 What was the ambient temp? Our '92 is normally in the 200's (mid) at 100F+ ambient temp using a variable orifice tube (brings up the pressure at idle).

My "guess" is we normally over charge the system which keeps it from cycling very often. Actually, last time I checked it it didn't cycle at all at idle and at higher rpms it "might" once in a while, but normally it didn't (low pressure drops at higher rpm).

~Mark

Thanks. :)

It was in the high 60s outside. I don't want to add more 134 if it might send the pressure too high when the ambient temps rise(100-110 range in summer and the Explorer is black).

Get yourself the right tools for the job.. You'll need a R134 manifold gauage set, a air vacuum pump to remove moisture & stuff from the ac system. You can get both tools for about $45 & 15 at the local harbor freight if your on a budget. When your charging the system your high pressure should be 2x + 50 the ambient temperature and low should be in the 30-40. Closer to 35 is ideal.. Get a few cans of R134 and the proper tap. Also wouldn't hurt to get a leak detector sniffer.

Get yourself the right tools for the job.. You'll need a R134 manifold gauage set, a air vacuum pump to remove moisture & stuff from the ac system.

That's probably how I evacuated the system, filled it, and knew the high and low side pressures....;)

I just finished replacing the compressor o-rings with HNBR and doing an evac and recharge on my '93 Sport.

When your charging the system your high pressure should be 2x + 50 the ambient temperature and low should be in the 30-40. Closer to 35 is ideal.

Thanks. The high side pressure wasn't much lower than my result using that equation, so I must not be far off the mark.

make sure that the old system oil for R-12 is flushed out of the system. There is a synthetic oil that is compatible with both,I use Napa's brand, and won't plug up the oriface tube.There is a tracer dye in it which will help you find any leaks later. Most of the oil will be in the accumulater, condenser, and evaporater.

Back