• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ranger Wheel Bearing Problem

sunrse777

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT Supercab 4X4
I've been hearing a noise from the front left wheel of my 4wd Ranger.
I thought that it was the auto hub going and went out and got the conversion kit and a set of manual hubs... I took the left front wheel off but before I did I noticed that it was lose !! Like a wheel bearing that was not loaded properly ... So I pulled off the outer bearing, but that looked fine.... But when I looked thru the rotor to the inner bearing .... damn !!! The rollers that I could see were all out of position and it did not look right. I pull the rotor and the rollers all feel out !! I mean the inner bearing just came apart.. So that was the problem and the noise... The inner bearing was toast .... But now here is the REAL PROBLEM.. The inner bearing inner section, the piece that rides on the spindle, stayed on the spindle AND WILL NOT COME OFF !!! I can not pry it off.. I have tried every tool I have and have not been able to budge it ..... Does anyone have any ideas or know of a special tool for this .... How can I get this damn metal band off the spindle ???
Thanks..... :rangerred:

It sounds like the inner bearing race is stuck to the spindle.

Here are some suggestions for removing it:

1. Using a cut-off wheel on a die grinder or Dremel, cut through the race. It will take some time, as it made of hard steel. Be careful not to cut the spindle. When the cut is almost all the way through, you may be able to pop the race off with a hammer - maybe not. Be careful.

2. Use a 2 or 3 jaw puller to pull the race off the spindle. If you do this, I suggest removing the spindle from the truck, as you do not want to brace the puller on the axle.

3. Heat. You could try heating the race, not the spindle. A little heat could expand the race enough for it to pop off. I suggest propane or MAPP gas, not acetylene - you don't want to cut the spindle.

Back