1994 Explorer Sport won't shift while running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Sport won't shift while running

griffigr

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Haven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I've got a mind boggling issue. About 6 weeks ago, I parked my Explorer to fix the lower intake gasket and to replace the alternator. Today, after getting everything put back together, I start the truck to take it for a test drive, and I find it won't shift into any gear (the vehicle is equipped with a 5 speed manual transmission). With the motor turned off, the transmission shifts fine. It shifted fine when I parked it 6 weeks ago. The clutch master cylinder fluid level is fine. To get the truck into gear, I have to literally grind the gears to get anything to engage. I don't think it's the slave cylinder, because I've got plenty of clutch pressure and I'm not leaking any hydraulic fluid. Yet, I think one of the front calipers has seized to the rotor and will not disengage. Don't the brakes and clutch share the same fluid? If the caliper is seized, will it effect the shifting? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? *note: I know it seems ridiculous to think brakes would effect shifting, but I'm out of ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the brake and clutch use the same fluid but they dont share the same lines so the brakes wouldnt have anything to do with it.
The slave cylinders are pretty common items to go bad on these trucks so that is a big possiblity. Also try pumping the clutch a few times before rying to put it in gear and see what that does.

Problem with my shift .

Dear Grifft :I have a similar situation, but differ in something in relation to your situation. In my Exp ( equipped with a 5 speed manual transmission ) , when the motor is cold ( turned on in the morning for example ) the transmission shifts fine without problem. But, once the motor is with normal temperature of operation, the transmission doent' shifts, particularly for First shift. For example, if I stop in front of a stopligh and I wait the green ligh and try to first shift , s almost impossible !!. I must the motor turned off, placing first shift , and then next motor turned on. !! I don't know what happen !!..Will the temperature affect in the dilatation of the clutch? Your opinions please.!! :rolleyes: Best Regard

I'm assuming the operating temperature alters the operation of the clutch. I have to turn my truck off at stoplights to get in first gear if I don't remember to let the gears slide into place by themselves. I'm learning to shift without the clutch...and yes.....it is possible without grinding gears. haha. The trick is to shift at the "mesh points" of the clutch. This allows the gears to slip into place without engaging the clutch.

Sorry Griff....but I did not understand about "mesh point"...What does mean ?

clutch master cylinder

The first thing i would check would be the clutch master cylinder. Its the easiest component to check before pulling the transmission. Other things that could cause the clutch to have problems disengaging could be the clutch slave cylinder and as simple as the pilot bearing. Obviously to service those two the transmission comes out. The roller pilot bearings come apart and the slop that results causes the clutch to hang up on the input shaft. One more thing about the master cylinder, it can have 0 fluid leakage and not apply pressure to the slave cylinder to push against the throw out bearing. This is from experience..... My Ranger went 240 k on the factory clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder, disc, throwout bearing and pressure plate & pilot bearing. Same symptoms as yours. Pulled the tranny, found the bad pilot bearing. Replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate , pilot bearing and throwout bearing. Everything was fine till 280k when it started doing the same thing. Out came the tranny again. Everything changed again this time plus the slave cylinder. Put the **** back together and no fix. Remove, old master cylinder bench bleed the new one install and presto. Everything right. Sorry for the book but it will take you less time to replace it all once:thumbsup:

I'm assuming the operating temperature alters the operation of the clutch. I have to turn my truck off at stoplights to get in first gear if I don't remember to let the gears slide into place by themselves. I'm learning to shift without the clutch...and yes.....it is possible without grinding gears. haha. The trick is to shift at the "mesh points" of the clutch. This allows the gears to slip into place without engaging the clutch.

just push in the clutch and downshift into first before u come to a complete stop mine has about the same issue and i downshift before i compltely stop. as for power shifting ive never tried downshifting

Sorry Griff....but I did not understand about "mesh point"...What does mean ?

mesh point is when the gears are spinning at the same speed. when powershifting to shift up u want to let your RPM's drop and when down shifting you want to get RPM's up.

I got the same problem with my beloved navajo, it has a new clutch already, and this afternoon I´ll change the master cylinder, I hope it works for me.I´ll let you know what happends

I got the same problem with my beloved navajo, it has a new clutch already, and this afternoon I´ll change the master cylinder, I hope it works for me.I´ll let you know what happends

When did the problem start? if it started right after the new clutch have you properly bled the system? Have you checked the fluid level and did you replace the slave cylinder when the new clutch was installed?
Slave cylinder failure is more common than master cylinder failure.

To test the disengagement I'd park on a hill. Put in the clutch and see if it rolls. If it rolls then I'd consider that the pilot bushing is sticking or something else(I'm not a clutch expert yet) is sticking so that your spinning the input shaft even with the clutch out. Or it could be all the syncros are gone. Seems unlikely that they are all bad though. G'luck!

thanks mr

When did the problem start? if it started right after the new clutch have you properly bled the system? Have you checked the fluid level and did you replace the slave cylinder when the new clutch was installed?
Slave cylinder failure is more common than master cylinder failure.

unfortunately I dint change the slave cylinder,I dont know if putting a stage 2 clutch could be the problem, this afternoon I just change the master and problem stills, you´re right it got to be the slave cylinder.

Back