1994 Ranger Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger Problem

1st 75th Ranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger
1994 V6, 4.0. Always starts when cold (say over two hours since last run). Always runs well after starting (never cuts off). However, randomly, after starting, running, shutting off and sitting for a short time, the engine will turn over but won't actually start. No sputtering, no almost start...nothing (as if no fire). Wait a little while, try again and it may or may not start. Already replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel pump relay and ignition module. Had it to the shop, but the mechanic could not recreate the problem, engine started right up for him every time (just my luck). Any thoughts? Ignition coil maybe?

I had this problem with an 89 Ranger and it was the ignition coil. It eventually got bad enough so that it wouldn't start when cold either.

I would check the resistance of the coil pack, if you search you should be able to find more, or if you have a Haynes manual, they should have a section on it. You might try heating the coil pack while testing (with a heat gun or hair dryer) because it may help to find the problem if temp related.

Thanks DogFriend

...good info. Will give it a try.

Liked your 'best friend' pictures. Nothing like coming home to a dog. Very special.

intermitt

1994 V6, 4.0. Always starts when cold (say over two hours since last run). Always runs well after starting (never cuts off). However, randomly, after starting, running, shutting off and sitting for a short time, the engine will turn over but won't actually start. No sputtering, no almost start...nothing (as if no fire). Wait a little while, try again and it may or may not start. Already replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel pump relay and ignition module. Had it to the shop, but the mechanic could not recreate the problem, engine started right up for him every time (just my luck). Any thoughts? Ignition coil maybe?

my bronco2 did the same thing. starts when it wants after it was warmed up,butalways cold. run perfect. followed the same steps you have already taken to no help. READY?? had to put all 6 injectors in it. the carbon built up and when it got hot not enough fuel got thru to start the engine. next time it does that open the air input and spray a little "spray start ether" at it. one you get it started once or twice it will run again.

Back