1995 Aerostar. Rear engine coolant leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar. Rear engine coolant leak.

butch59

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 aerostar
Hi, I have a 1995 aerostar, I believe it is a 3.0, there is a coolant leak at the rear of the engine, I cannot locate the source. As soon as I add coolant, when the engine hot or cold, the coolant is leaking from the bell housing and starter. Seems to leak just as fast as I poor it in. I've jacked up the van, taken the interior housing cover off and removed the wheels to try to locate this leak. Any help, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was moved into the Aerostar section. This once happened to my 1988 van. One of the rear engine bolt heads cracked off, and caused a gap between the head gasket & the head. Check the engine with a flashlight while it's cold to see where the coolant is leaking.

Also locate and check the freeze plugs, they are known for leaking as well. I've had dozens of Ford 3.0L V-6s and have had freeze plug trouble in a few, especially in the higher mileage examples.

Back