• Register Today It's free!

1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer??

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
I have the 1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer and I have the JBL system. But my question is on the SUB WOOFER in the rear of the truck what size sub is it and can I just replace it with like an MTX or JBL or something different?? Its sounds like crap,, just asking thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yours is a 6.5" sub. It can be replaced with a larger sub, such as a 10" MTX Thunderform or a 10" JL Stealthbox. Check out www.mtxaudio.com and www.jlaudio.com and look around.

exit

So u are saying that I can take that sub out of the rear and replace a 10" in there??

my brother got a 130 watt sony sub for his stereo system in our house, that thing bumps good, what could i get for the explorer that is comporable to what he has

He means you can replace the whole box with a new sub system, and new box.

You can replace the current sub with similar sized one, or use a dremel to cut the current hole to an 8 and put a sub that requires a really small box size. That was done successfully. Another person DID stick a 10 in the stock box, but this is the least recommended and you'll need to fudge a lot in the install.

exit

Jtang,

So if I decide to replace the current subwoofer I got now... will the current Amp that the woofer its pushing now,,, will be enough??

Thanks

Originally posted by espnfreak
my brother got a 130 watt sony sub for his stereo system in our house, that thing bumps good, what could i get for the explorer that is comporable to what he has

just about any quality subwoofer is better than that. Sony makes some nice headunits now, but their subs still suck compared to others.

If I'm reading the FAQ that's at the very top of this particular message board, then you're getting about 85 watts RMS to the sub, so that should be plenty for a replacement 6.5 that is of a good brand name that can handle it. Perhaps an 8 will work too. Most people want at least 100 watts to sub, but you can fudge it a bit if you're happy with the output now.

Back