1995 Explorer 4R55e transmission with no reverse...help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer 4R55e transmission with no reverse...help please

dvargas2

Reaction score
City, State
Palmdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1995 ford explorer XLT. It just had the transmission (4r55E) rebuilt and put in all new bands and after about 100 miles it spontaneously lost reverse. I drives forward but no reverse. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1995 ford explorer XLT. It just had the transmission (4r55E) rebuilt and put in all new bands and after about 100 miles it spontaneously lost reverse. I drives forward but no reverse. Any help is greatly appreciated.
howdy and welcome! that sounds like VB issue imo...

Ring it back to the rebuilter!

howdy and welcome! that sounds like VB issue imo...
Hello, thank you for the warm welcome Fix4Dirt. Sorry not familiar with VB could you please expand on your answer. Thank you.

Thank you for your answer Pete but my son is the one that rebuilt it in his automotive class at college. His instructor helped him and watched every step so other than parts the service was free but the instructor is no longer working for the college due to health issues and we are on a very tight budget so we need to try to figure it out with what resources we have available to us.

My son and husband will be doing the work just asking for help with possible solutions as to where the issue may be. Hoping to not take it out and apart but if that is what is needed I know they are capable.

Hello, thank you for the warm welcome Fix4Dirt. Sorry not familiar with VB could you please expand on your answer. Thank you.

Thank you for your answer Pete but my son is the one that rebuilt it in his automotive class at college. His instructor helped him and watched every step so other than parts the service was free but the instructor is no longer working for the college due to health issues and we are on a very tight budget so we need to try to figure it out with what resources we have available to us.

My son and husband will be doing the work just asking for help with possible solutions as to where the issue may be. Hoping to not take it out and apart but if that is what is needed I know they are capable.
of course! the VB is the valve body, which is responsible for noving the trans fluid to various parts of the trans to engage certain geaars. now when there is an issue such as a blown gasket, the pressure isnt high enough to engage the solenoid or sometimes itll be a shift flare, usually it atarts with a loss of reverse, then a loss of Drive but using 1/2 manually work, and a 2-3 flare. in my X experience thats what causes many trans issues and yours sounds like it may be another. did they use the updated seperator plate, epc solenoid or a shift kit? also your son sounds real cool, and so does his instructor! good mentors are everything! being young is nice ;)

heres a good link to some info https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-a-valve-body

another good diagnostic link 18 Troubleshooting Tips for 4R44E & 5R55E Transmissions | Sonnax

of course! the VB is the valve body, which is responsible for noving the trans fluid to various parts of the trans to engage certain geaars. now when there is an issue such as a blown gasket, the pressure isnt high enough to engage the solenoid or sometimes itll be a shift flare, usually it atarts with a loss of reverse, then a loss of Drive but using 1/2 manually work, and a 2-3 flare. in my X experience thats what causes many trans issues and yours sounds like it may be another. did they use the updated seperator plate, epc solenoid or a shift kit? also your son sounds real cool, and so does his instructor! good mentors are everything! being young is nice ;)

heres a good link to some info https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-a-valve-body

another good diagnostic link 18 Troubleshooting Tips for 4R44E & 5R55E Transmissions | Sonnax
Thank you, we will check into this. Hopefully it is a simple issue if not I know where to turn. Thanks again.

Thank you, we will check into this. Hopefully it is a simple issue if not I know where to turn. Thanks again.
keep us posted! also just noticed youre in palmdale, worst come to worst, theres lots of knowledge and wrench turners out here!

keep us posted! also just noticed youre in palmdale, worst come to worst, theres lots of knowledge and wrench turners out here!
Thank you. I have had to come to your neck of the wood before to find an elusive part. Have a great day and will do on the updates.

Watch this video.

Loss of reverse in your Ford transmission 4R44E/4R55E.​

P.M.S Garage

Watch this video.

Loss of reverse in your Ford transmission 4R44E/4R55E.​

P.M.S Garage

Thank you, I have watched it and we are looking into less evasive options before just tearing out the transmission. I appreciate your assistance. Thank you again.

Thank you, I have watched it and we are looking into less evasive options before just tearing out the transmission. I appreciate your assistance. Thank you again.
also how does fluid look? forgot but thatd be one of the first things to check dont wanna see metal in it. it is possible the reverse band let go, but the lesst invasive way is to try the VB stuff first

also how does fluid look? forgot but thatd be one of the first things to check dont wanna see metal in it. it is possible the reverse band let go, but the lesst invasive way is to try the VB stuff first
This is why I had mine rebuilt a head of time
ended up saving me lots of money
Now I swap fluid every year
the dipstick Makes this easy
Cheap insurance

I think his valve body has a blown gasket and or a sticking servo or low Reverse band

Give you a idea of what's going on

I wanted to know if anyone happen to know if there is a way to check if the reverse band is broken or out of place without taking the transmission apart. We are still working on checking the other items that have been suggested just thought I could check and see if it was possible to check the band without taking the tranny out.

Thank you for everyone's assistance and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated!

I’ve heard of dudes removing the reverse servo and sending a long screwdriver up the bore to see if they can feel the band. It’s often a tang/tab that breaks off, and the servo pintle can’t engage the band.

I’d also imagine that you wouldn’t have any resistance when trying to adjust the bands? Not sure though

I can tell you my experience is that it probably broke the tab off of the reverse band. And rebuilding is never a substitute for a remanufactured transmission a lot of times the issue like the shift servo bores being too sloppy can cause this or the reverse actuator has a clogged bypass so the transmission experiences and overpressure on the plunger that actuates the reverse band. The ear on the reverse band is a known weakness. Even on the factory bands.

Terms like ‘rebuilt’ and ‘remanufactured’ are useless, as there is no standard definition.

I’ve seen people get ridiculous mileage out of a shop rebuild, and have a reman Jasper be DOA.

Me? I’d rather have my very experienced local tranny guy rebuild my trans than hope my $$$ Jasper reman isn’t built on a Friday by whichever temp is working the line that week.

To each their own, but the important thing is to know EXACTLY what you’re paying for. Which parts, who makes them, what’s getting done, what upgrades are you getting, is the rebuild to new or service limits, etc etc.

FWIW, my local 5R55E rebuild is at 190k and is absolutely flawless. It was $1800 back in 2011 including R&R, couldn’t beat it.

Terms like ‘rebuilt’ and ‘remanufactured’ are useless, as there is no standard definition.

I’ve seen people get ridiculous mileage out of a shop rebuild, and have a reman Jasper be DOA.

Me? I’d rather have my very experienced local tranny guy rebuild my trans than hope my $$$ Jasper reman isn’t built on a Friday by whichever temp is working the line that week.

To each their own, but the important thing is to know EXACTLY what you’re paying for. Which parts, who makes them, what’s getting done, what upgrades are you getting, is the rebuild to new or service limits, etc etc.

FWIW, my local 5R55E rebuild is at 190k and is absolutely flawless. It was $1800 back in 2011 including R&R, couldn’t beat it.
ditto, a bad rebuilder may be worse than a reman, but a great rebuilder, cant beat that. its all about finding the right person to do it. imo the best rebuild is one ya did yourself 😅

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ditto, a bad rebuilder may be worse than a reman, but a great rebuilder, cant beat that. its all about finding the right person to do it. imo the best rebuild is one ya did yourself 😅
Yep, my 5r55e is original so I'm eventually going to rebuild it when it craps out

Back