1995 Explorer 4R55e transmission with no reverse...help please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer 4R55e transmission with no reverse...help please

Yep, my 5r55e is original so I'm eventually going to rebuild it when it craps out
^^^ plus if somethin goes wrong, easier to know whats goin on since ya did it yourself, especially if youre mechanically inclined (now if ya cant change ya own oil, wouldnt reccomend rebuilding a trans but ya get the idea)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ plus if somethin goes wrong, easier to know whats goin on since ya did it yourself, especially if youre mechanically inclined (now if ya cant change ya own oil, wouldnt reccomend rebuilding a trans but ya get the idea)
Yeah she does soo good love the 5r55e

That’s the great thing about a local guy. If something goes wrong in the warranty period, drop the vehicle back in his lap—assuming you didn’t do a ‘carry out’ transmission. His problem now, he can pull it out and fix it.

If it’s a reman, there’s a possibility for a pissing match to develop. The company may honor replacing the trans itself (parts cost) but may balk at covering the labor…now your trans shop is trying to hit you for another R&R fee bc the company won’t pay and they’re not going to eat it…it can get messy.

So we finally had time to check on some things in the transmission. All of the solenoids are working, checked with a battery. When we tested the band by inserting a screwdriver through a hole in the valve body and making contact with the reverse band we were able to push it in about 1/2" with no resistance.

The transmission has been taken out and the reverse band tab is not broken. Is it a possibility that the band can rotate. Anyone know if this is an issue I can't seem to find anything online close to this.

Since the reverse band is intact, is there anything in particular we should be looking for the in value body that would cause the truck to not go into reverse?

keep us posted! also just noticed youre in palmdale, worst come to worst, theres lots of knowledge and wrench turners out here!
So we finally had time to check on some things in the transmission. All of the solenoids are working, checked with a battery. When we tested the band by inserting a screwdriver through a hole in the valve body and making contact with the reverse band we were able to push it in about 1/2" with no resistance.

The transmission has been taken out and the reverse band tab is not broken. Is it a possibility that the band can rotate. Do you happen to know if this is an issue? I can't seem to find anything related to this issue.

Since the reverse band is intact, is there anything in particular we should be looking for the in value body that would cause the truck to not go into reverse? Apologies if you have already answered this question.

As always thank you for any info.

The transmission has been taken out and the reverse band tab is not broken. Is it a possibility that the band can rotate. Do you happen to know if this is an issue? I can't seem to find anything related to this issue.

Since the reverse band is intact, is there anything in particular we should be looking for the in value body that would cause the truck to not go into reverse? Apologies if you have already answered this question.

As always thank you for any info.
iirc i thin its ok that it rotates as long as pressure isnt being applied since when the pressure goes up they lock iirc. but not too sure on that one

Back