1995 Explorer with JBL system - How to hook up aftermarket radio using RCA's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer with JBL system - How to hook up aftermarket radio using RCA's

aznjay333

Reaction score
I have a 1995 ford explorer with the JBL system with stock sub in trunk, 6 cd changer in the arm rest, the head unit is dead and doesn't power on.

I have a spare aftermarket headunit, typical single DIN with RCA jacks at the back of it.

I want to take out the stock headunit and replace it with the aftermarket one USING the RCA jacks, im no good at wiring so the RCA Audio jacks are the simplest way for me.

Im selling the car and dont really care for sound quality, as long as the stereo turns on and sound comes out of the speakers I will be happy, bypass amp or not, use the sub or not, doesnt matter.I simply want to know the easiest way to make sound come out of this aftermarket headunit.

Ive read to use the Metra 70-5061 harness which you install where the headunit is and also at the back where the amp is and run wires back there.
My question is does the 70-5061 have RCA jacks to connect to aftermarket stereos?

I'd like to find the easiest way possible and I dont want to run wire, is there another harness which will work with the JBL system wiring which can connect to RCA jacks? remember, I simply want sound to come out of the speakers with the least amount of work.

your help is appreciated, already searched but just got too confused because it seemed very technical. I have done aftermarket installs on other cars before, they were super simple. Take out stock, buy a harness, plug in harness to old stock wiring and plug in rca jacks into new stereo. I know this jbl system is harder so which harness should I use? Harness must have rca jacks, least wiring as possible!!

thanks in advance :exp:

The simplest method would be to get the correct harness (there are 2 different kinds for explorers back then), and wire it up, but also connect the 2 wires on it for the stock amp.. At that point you're using the deck AND the amp, but the only thing is you gotta be careful with the vol/eq levels, cuz of the amount of power going to the speakers..

This is what I'm doing right now in my 97, which is the same scenario as yours.. And the funny thing is, I'm actually gonna have an extra harness probably next Monday.. If at that point you don't have one, I'll ship it to you for $10 and it's yours..

This is definitely the simplest method having the stock amp in the back, cuz bypassing it is a real pain.. And if you were to go the RCA route, you'd have to buy some type of expensive adaptor, and you'd have to remove the rear quarter panel to get to the amp, which isn't fun.. With the method I just gave you, all you'd do is remove the current headunit and unplug the 2 harness plugs.. You'd then wire the new stereo to the new harness inside your house (very simple), then when you went back outside, you'd simply plug the 2 plugs in.. It's that simple and easy.. There's no other wiring to the speakers, amp, or anything..

If you're interested in that harness next week, let me know..

I was just rereading your post, and I'm a little confused about what you mean when you say "harness must have RCA jacks".. The thing is, what most don't realize on here, is these systems CAN be as easy any other stereo - you DON'T have to mess with the amp or do anything extra, except just connecting the 2 wires on the [correct] harness for the amp - what they are exactly is, a black amp ground wire on the speaker plug which you just tie into the main stereo ground connection, and a 12v amp wire that you connect to the power antenna wire.. But if you do that, then it is NO different than any other stereo install.. BUT, like I said, just gotta be careful with the vol/eq levels.. If you keep them in check, it sounds totally fine, and better than stock - more power..

If you're unsure at all about the harness and you're not in a huge hurry, like I said I can take care of you next wk.. I'm gonna have an extra cuz I ordered the amp bypass cable, and it came with another harness..

Back