1995 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer

nebrnut1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Runs in rich mode. Scan tool will not read codes. Check engine light on. Anybody have any ideas?:( Please? Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What sort of scan tool are you using? 1995 model is EEC-IV and can't be accessed with the newer OBDII scanners. Actually, you don't even need any scanner at all to pull codes. Just ground the pin on the 'test' connector and count the flashes on the CEL. Searching for something like 'EEC-IV' trouble code reading' will provide the details. Here is a link to a youtube video that shows how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCUHULa4HM
Runs in rich mode. Scan tool will not read codes. Check engine light on. Anybody have any ideas?:( Please? Thanx

95 Explorer

I had O'Reillys do it. You can count flashes like the old GM's? Cool, thanx

95 Explorer

What sort of scan tool are you using? 1995 model is EEC-IV and can't be accessed with the newer OBDII scanners. Actually, you don't even need any scanner at all to pull codes. Just ground the pin on the 'test' connector and count the flashes on the CEL. Searching for something like 'EEC-IV' trouble code reading' will provide the details. Here is a link to a youtube video that shows how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCUHULa4HM

My connector is under the dash. Is that still EEC-IV? It doesn't look like the video you had.

95 was a transition year. Some late '95 vehicles may be OBDII, but seems that yours isn't, or the OBDII scanner would work. The fact that you have the OBDII-style connector does not mean it's actually OBDII. Take a good look under the hood for the EEC-IV test connectors. If they aren't there, I heard of something called OBD 1.5, but no clue if that's even real, and if it is, how to deal with it. Perhaps someone more familiar with that year will chime in....

My connector is under the dash. Is that still EEC-IV? It doesn't look like the video you had.

95 Explorer

95 was a transition year. Some late '95 vehicles may be OBDII, but seems that yours isn't, or the OBDII scanner would work. The fact that you have the OBDII-style connector does not mean it's actually OBDII. Take a good look under the hood for the EEC-IV test connectors. If they aren't there, I heard of something called OBD 1.5, but no clue if that's even real, and if it is, how to deal with it. Perhaps someone more familiar with that year will chime in....

Thanx 4 all your help.

On your 95 the obdII connector is for the abs only. Everything else is from the connector under the hood

95 Engine has OBDI codes & Transmission has OBDII codes and where the saying OBD1.5 comes from. The Port under the dash is useless for the most part.

This year is when the Explorer did away with the A4LD trans, and started using the 4r44e.

In 96 everything went full OBDII in the Explorers.

Rangers went full OBDII in 95.

Easiest way to tell the difference is pull a sensor connector off, and look inside it. 2 wire=OBDI 3 wire=OBDII
:crazy:

95 Explorer

Update; Replaced MAF twice runs good for about 10 to 15 mins. Then it goes back into a rich mode & ck engine light comes on, but still can't pull codes out. Any ideas? I want to thank everybody for all your help too.

The one thing that causes the PCM to richen up fuel mixtures (providing the PCM is in good working condition) is a lean condition indicated. This can be any number of things. The O2 sensors pick up the rich and lean conditions and their feedback to the PCM is what dictates the adjustment. You could have a faulty O2 sensor. A vacuum leak can also be the culprit. Inmonitored air that enters the closed loop system of electronic engine management systems causes a lean condition, which in turn gets rectified by adding more fuel. These leaks can be anywhere from a simple line with a hole to a leak between the upper and lower intake manifolds. You might also check the fuel pressure. A faulty fuel pressure regulator can also cause it to run rich. I've never ran into this problem, but I've heard of PCV valve issues causing a leak. There are a number of other things that can be involved. The "no codes" CEL is a possible indicator of a malfunctioning PCM. This is what mine went through. I was able to scavenge a junk yard unit for mine for $15. It wasn't until I got home when I noticed the "reman" sticker. So I got a reman PCM for $15.

If you have a cel, you have a code stored.

What are you using to retrieve them with?

Draining the memory will clear it. It will return after it cycles, when triggered.

Disconnect the battery for about 10-15 mins to drain the memory.

A bad vac leak would cause it to have a lean code. When the intake leaks, it would read both banks.

A small leak would cause it to run rough, and most likely throw a egr code.

An injector issue would cause it to run rough, and throw fuel trim codes.

Point being, if you can't see or hear the issue, and have a code, you need to find out what code it is to help find the real issue.

If you can't pull the code yourself, I suggest a dealer do it. They have the best software/tools to do this with. If they find the problem, & you pay them to fix it, they take the charge for the diagnose off.

Back