• Register Today It's free!

1996 2.3l Engine questions

dla

Reaction score
City, State
NW Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 2wd, 2.3, 5spd man
Hi, I need a little education. I own a 2007 Ranger with the 2.3l and 5spd manual - nice little truck. I fould a 1996 Ranger, identical to mine, for $1700. Thinking of getting it for my 21yr old daughter. Owned by an older fellow who seems to have maintained it, but I haven't personally looked at the vehicle yet. Now the questions:
- Miles - this vehicle has 159K on it - is that a problem?
- 2.3l engine - is this engine fuel injected or carbureted?
- 8 spark plugs - Is that common for the 2.3L? Is the 96 2.3L materially different from my 2007 2.3L?
- Gotchas? - are there things I should watch out for with the 96 model year?

Thanks in advance.

...I'll try to help...:scratch:

1)..The milage is about normal and probably why the price is cheap...I haven't seen it so I'm guessing...

2) It is Fuel injected...

3) 8 plugs is the standard for that yr. truck and the motor is a good one if taken care of..Changing the top 4 plugs can be done without removing the upper intake but it cost more than a regular tune up and is a pain to do...

4) The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the clutch...When it goes it will cost about $750 to replace...I'm not sure but you probably have a 7.5 rear end and as for gear size, if you post the axle code from the door sticker we could tell you what it is...

...I take it, it is 2wd and not 4wd???

...I am prejudice as I own a 2.3 ranger...If you click "The Squirrel" in my signature you can see it's info...I love my ranger and it is great both on and offroad for having such a little engine..Great on gas and mine is very reliable too...:thumbsup:

Love my 97 2.3

Great little truck, bought mine 5 yr. ago 150,000mi. I wasn't thinkin an poped timing belt at 170,000,bent valves. $600parts $600labor,runs like a charm 230,000 today. Because it had to be taken so far apart Ihad engin pulled and hv.oilpump& clutch,pplate but forgot the slave cyl. That was $125 installed.

Back