1996 Explorer front pwr seats dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer front pwr seats dead

tekctrl

Reaction score
City, State
Fairview Heights, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
New to the site and in need of advice. Recently purchased a '36 Ford Tudor street rod which has front power buckets from a 1996 2dr Explorer. Both seats are dead and won't adjust at all (except the manual seat back). Drivers seat will only groan and blow fuses while pass seat is totally dead. Local Ford dealer unhelpful, says they can only order individual parts (motor, switch, harness, spring(s), etc) and only if we give him the 'trim level' and specific model that the seats came out of. It's the wife's car and she can't drive it because it hurts her back, so I'd like to get that fixed. Have already sprayed the base mechanism with WD40 to loosen things up but no joy. No local yards have '96 Explorer seats, either power or manual. Any ideas on what other years or models might share the same mounts? Am I correct that changing the base from power to manual would result in lowering the seat (she's shorter <5'5"> and needs the seat higher than I <6'2"> do)? Is there a seat back that is Not 'high back' (blocks her view to the rear)? I'm thinking that we may end up taking the seats to a local shop for them to replace motors, switches, base mechanism, whatever, as well as cutting down the seat back and recovering both (leather/suede) seats...$$$!! Any guidance here would be very helpful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seats are the same, as far as mounting, 92-01 Explorer and Mountaineer. Some of the later model Sports (2 door) and Sport Tracs may work as well.

There may be wiring harness changes, between the years, however.

Seats are the same, as far as mounting, 92-01 Explorer and Mountaineer. Some of the later model Sports (2 door) and Sport Tracs may work as well.

There may be wiring harness changes, between the years, however.
Thanks! That's helpful. Are all of these seats 'high back' or were they available as 'low back' as well?

There were a few seat models, but I think the shape was all fairly similar.

The '96 Explorer Limited had seats with adjustable headrests (I know this as I pulled a set several yrs ago to install in my '98 XLT). Not sure about other years. Suppose you could remove the headrests and lose some height over std profiles found on other models. Here are a couple photos. Height from rear of seat cushion to top of back seat (excluding headrest) is about 23".

96Limitedseats001.jpg
96Limitedseats002.jpg

they are all similiar, the sport buckets (xlt usually) are my personal favorite, the LTD iirc came with headrests if thats your thing. the XL ones are ok, but i like my sport buckets best ;)

The '96 Explorer Limited had seats with adjustable headrests (I know this as I pulled a set several yrs ago to install in my '98 XLT). Not sure about other years. Suppose you could remove the headrests and lose some height over std profiles found on other models. Here are a couple photos. Height from rear of seat cushion to top of back seat (excluding headrest) is about 23".

View attachment 433356 View attachment 433357
yes! those were what i was talking about!

Oh, there’s also an elusive front bench, but they are uncommon.

Right...the seats like you have did not have removable headrests and were pretty much std fare for this gen of Explorer. I was only showing an example of an alternate style that was available on certain models (Limiteds) should it interest you. You have any U Pulls near you? My local one sells pwr seat tracks for $10/ea. Seat with track for $30.

No head rests on either seat.

View attachment 433364
those look like the sport buckets, very comfortable imo. just wish the lumbat still worked on mine lol no biggie thoigh. but as xltrunner mwntioned the linited seats will bolt in but iirc wiring changes are needed. that is if tou wajt the headrests. if headrests are no biggie im a sport bucker person ;)

Right...the seats like you have did not have removable headrests and were pretty much std fare for this gen of Explorer. I was only showing an example of an alternate style that was available on certain models (Limiteds) should it interest you. You have any U Pulls near you? My local one sells pwr seat tracks for $10/ea. Seat with track for $30.
I do have a U-Pull near us and walked their entire yard looking for '96 Explorer seats. I'll have to go back and check for "92-01 Explorer and Mountaineer" and see if any are present and usable.

Yeah...I'm sure it's the same case around your area as it is mine as the number of Explorers of this gen has slowed to a trickle at my local U Pull. Good luck!

interesting round here seems like a new X at my local yard every 2-3 days. brosden my search to what i would consider localish (1 hr drive) and theresone or more a day. how interesesting!

Keep in mind that rust has a lot to do with it here in the upper Midwest. People lose interest in them once they start looking "ratty" and maintenance becomes too costly; particularly when a shop hands them a costly laundry list of things that need to be replaced. Frame of mind is it has served it's purpose and time for a new vehicle.

On a side note, you and I were talking about the Lacy wheels that I like...but, aluminum wheels around here are always showing corrosion under the cracked/flaking clearcoat. Well, a '96 Limited showed up the other day at U Pull and pic online looked hopeful. Ran over to look at it and again, only one wheel was even remotely worth consideration. And, probably as a spare at that. If you ever find yourself out at one of your yards, maybe take a look around and see what you have out there in sunny & dry CA? I'm coming due for new tires in the next year, so would be a good time to swap them if I'm going to do it without paying extra.

Keep in mind that rust has a lot to do with it here in the upper Midwest. People lose interest in them once they start looking "ratty" and maintenance becomes too costly; particularly when a shop hands them a costly laundry list of things that need to be replaced. Frame of mind is it has served it's purpose and time for a new vehicle.

On a side note, you and I were talking about the Lacy wheels that I like...but, aluminum wheels around here are always showing corrosion under the cracked/flaking clearcoat. Well, a '96 Limited showed up the other day at U Pull and pic online looked hopeful. Ran over to look at it and again, only one wheel was even remotely worth consideration. And, probably as a spare at that. If you ever find yourself out at one of your yards, maybe take a look around and see what you have out there in sunny & dry CA? I'm coming due for new tires in the next year, so would be a good time to swap them if I'm going to do it without paying extra.
ahhhhh true. these dont hold mucg status no more.

not too sure how to ship wheels, but i can look into it. that does ring a bell but im not 100% sure which wheels it was youre looking for. can you tell me which of these it is? instinct tells me D

5D3F760D-C0C4-4772-B9FD-B450C016BDD3.png

Found a pair of seats in a local yard with a '01 Explorer and it looks like they might fit. Even better, they have removable headrests so we won't have to pay extra to cut down a pair of high-backs. :bounce: Measured the mounting bolts and looks like they'll fit! Crossing our fingers here that this particular issue will be resolved soon. Thanks to Everyone for the assist!! :thumbsup:

Found a pair of seats in a local yard with a '01 Explorer and it looks like they might fit. Even better, they have removable headrests so we won't have to pay extra to cut down a pair of high-backs. :bounce: Measured the mounting bolts and looks like they'll fit! Crossing our fingers here that this particular issue will be resolved soon. Thanks to Everyone for the assist!! :thumbsup:
congrats!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They’ll definitely mount. They are absolutely the same.

Back