1997 3.0 motor locked up.

Bozzzz94

Reaction score
City, State
Alton, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Aerostar xlt
Good Morning,
Yest I did a dumb thing. Had my cam shaft position sensor removed from back of block. I drove 2 miles thinking, old one is bad and removed and tried putting in new one but wasn't right. Wife took the other car and before I could get my thoughts together to find TDC and then line up the lil plastic cap tool with the new shaft cam I'd run right quick to the post office. Well, got half way there and it shut off, restarted it then as I was pulling into lot it quit again. This time NODA!
Forgot to mention I had the dog house still off. Yest and last night before I went to bed, all that happens is a quick tinny noise like when you bump the starter but like it's hit something that won't budge. Yes I know, sounds like motor froze up from my description but called Ford and they said that it wouldn't be. I'm at a loss. No, I haven't put a breakbar on the 15/16" crank bolt yet to see it it would turn. Weird but if I didn't know better sounds like bendix in starter staying engaged to flywheel. A quick pop and nothing. I did last night wrap on the started with a mallet a couple of times but no go. I wasn't having any problems before but the engine was running sluggish on a grade so I had the code pulled. Was the cam sensor code and the EGR. EGR had a mouse bite in half the lil vacuum line but repaired and was only the cam sensor code. Please give me constructive advice. Don't need lil kid games. Trying to fix for wife and then head to Florida.
V/r Tim Boswell

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cam synchronizer drives the oil pump you didn’t drive without the synchronizer did you? Oil pressure is a challenge for the 3.0 engines they fail often due to low or lack of oil pressure

I recently replaced an 03 ranger 3.0 with a 3.0’from a 04’taurus, worked great

The cam synchronizer drives the oil pump you didn’t drive without the synchronizer did you? Oil pressure is a challenge for the 3.0 engines they fail often due to low or lack of oil pressure

I recently replaced an 03 ranger 3.0 with a 3.0’from a 04’taurus, worked great
Yes I did drive it. You think it locked up? I hate that I did this to it. Was very proud of it. I'm an idiot. Funny though Tech at Ford didn't think so. I guess mechanically if the synchronizer is installed all is good, even if it's not functioning. I guess that's why I thought at the time it didn't make a difference. Would I be able to unlock/free it without hurting it more?
Tnx Tim

Did you drive it with no sycnhronizer or just no sensor on top of the synchronizer

My guess is, the synchronizer was removed and the engine was ran with no oil pump.

No. Synco. In. Motor=kaput!
So my guess was a million miles off. Need to see if the motor will rotate at all in reverse with a breaker bar.

Back