1997 8.8 Differential; Axle length determination | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 8.8 Differential; Axle length determination

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I've come across another 8.8 that I think is out of a '97. I know that it is a Gen II because of the rear disc brakes that it has.
For some reason the RH axle is out of it. I have located replacement axles on ROCKAUTO. However there are 2 different lengths for RH and LH. On ROCKAUTO one axle listed has a length of 27.81". Lower down on the page is another listing and the length is 27.625". Why are there 2 different lengths available and how do I determine which one that I need?
ADDED! I meant to say two different listed for a RH axle...NOT and LH. Thanks @BKennedy For those who need to know, I think the RH and LH are ~ 2.75" different in length.

The left and right side axles are different lengths, but its a lot more than .2" because the differential is offset. I don't think that's your question, but the way you worded it makes it sound like that. I didn't know there was different length axle shafts because the housings are the same from 91-up as far as I know.

Thanks @BKennedy. You caught my mental TYPO. I went back up and edit/added to it!

Back