1997 Explorer Sport Transmission Locked up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer Sport Transmission Locked up.

MaineF250

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post here and i'm looking for some insight as to the 5r44e transmission in my 1997 Ford Explorer Sport.

First off, I got the rig given to me by my sister who drove the hell out of it for 7 years and didn't put a dime into it. To me, it is nothing more than a winter beater to keep my F250 out of the Maine road salt. It has 135k on it, and drove great up until a week ago.

I got myself stuck in the snow and tried to rock it out VERY gently, 'cause i know the tranny may be a little tender. About the tenth time going from D to R, the truck stalled. I restarted it and since then the truck won't move. I tried to get it on the trailer and found that the rear wheels are locked like it is in park.

If you put it in gear, it acts like it's in neutral and the engine just revs. Normally I would assume the transmission is smoked, but since the rear wheels are locked up i'm not sure. I'm gonna assume the rear axle is good because the truck doesn't even try to move.

The fluid is clean and full and there was no slippage before this happened, maybe the transfer case is junk?

I figured that if anyone would know the quirks of these things, it would be you guys.

Back