1997 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems :(

roets81

Reaction score
City, State
Belle River Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC V6 Ford Exploder
Its a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport. Control Trac 4WD. It has 220kms on it.
Hey ok so this is what lead up to my problem. I was driving my little sister to her friends house. Dropped her off pulled out of the driveway. Started driving away then it started to slip in second gear so I let off the gas and pulled over. Checked tranny fluid it was at the proper level. So started driving again. No slipping or anything but when I got home and went to reverse into my parking spot I had no reverse at all. I have park. Every other gear is drive. Put it in reverse it will drive forward then stop fast and rock back and forth then not move at all. Put it in neutral and it acts like its in drive. Still shifts through every gear in drive.
I'm just trying to figure out exactly whats wrong so I can get the parts and do a rebuild. Some people say its my forward clutch welded itself together. Others say one of my solenoids are stuck open. I checked my shift cable and its still connected to the bell housing. This happened 2 weeks ago and since then the trans fluid went from red to a dark brown colour. I haven't been driving it since I seen the fluid colour change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Back