The Explorers NEW LOOK!!!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Explorers NEW LOOK!!!!!!

How much did you end up using of the gallon for the two coats?

I dd 3 coats over all and it took alittle more than 1 gallon I origanly bought 2 gallons so now Ihave extra just in case:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, awesome. I love it.

Your roof was a NIGHTMARE! :eek:

It looks really good, but where are your bumpers? You can't be riding around like that legally.

I have passed about 6 cops since i took them off and not so much as a second glance
I am trying to hold on putting them back on untill i can find others or get time to make some!

I have passed about 6 cops since i took them off and not so much as a second glance

You got lucky for sure, I know they are bad for bumpers up here. Maybe they were late for coffee.

i removed the plastic piece on the bottom of the radiator because all it did was hang there and collect mud it hasnt affected the cooling of the truck at all

does it come off or did u have to cut it

anyone know if there would be any problems of the engine compartment getting really hot with this setup??

none that i have seen, i took that bottom pice off also it is just screws or bolts or something. IT takes to seconds to take off

wow, that turned out really good. 3 coats of that stuff is probably the equivilant of running an exo cage, your fenders are probably industructable now.

Do me a favor, put a toolbox on your hood and drive around town and let me know if it doesn't slide off.

from trucks I have seen around here that have this done there is no negative side effect of doing this.

great job on the paint work now you dont need to worry about stones or tree branches

not to hijack your thread but has anybody trimmed that plastic piece hangin down...radiator guard or whatever its called...i dont like how it hands down on mine (the pic is not mine odviously)

mine came off the first time i went off road then just got the lines cut and moved them so they are out of the way

got the tail lights tinted today pactra294 is some good stuff went on easy and looks good did the third brake light too 3 coats did the trick
100_4192.jpg

100_4193.jpg

100_4198.jpg

and while i was at it i painted the door handles
door.jpg

still need bumpers!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

i removed the plastic piece on the bottom of the radiator because all it did was hang there and collect mud it hasnt affected the cooling of the truck at all

hmm are you talking about the wind breaker? the thing that improves handling and improves gas milage...

I did mine in Jan like that. Four months later, I love it.

Someone hit me in the door at the boat ramp a few weeks ago. No scratches, no paint flecs.

Looks good. We did the same to my buddys 85 4runner but we didnt do the hood because we didnt want to trap in all of the heat. I dont know how hot it gets where you live or if the 5.0 gives off more heat than a 22re (working hard to push 36s), but you might want to keep an eye on the temp as a cautionary.

bottom line, Badass!... :D

Looks good. We did the same to my buddys 85 4runner but we didnt do the hood because we didnt want to trap in all of the heat. I dont know how hot it gets where you live or if the 5.0 gives off more heat than a 22re (working hard to push 36s), but you might want to keep an eye on the temp as a cautionary.

bottom line, Badass!... :D

been running it pretty hard and have had no over heating not even running any warmer then normal even removed the plastic piece at the bottom runs just the same
100_4201.jpg

100_4202.jpg

100_4200.jpg

now I need to make a skid plate ( need a 24 inch*48 inch piece of uhmw!!!!) and rear bumper

Did you do a UV top coat? If not it will start to gray out. I love the look of fresh bedliner. That was my plan for when the body gets a little less salvageable then it is now. Bedliner hides body work nicely :)

Did you do a UV top coat? If not it will start to gray out. I love the look of fresh bedliner. That was my plan for when the body gets a little less salvageable then it is now. Bedliner hides body work nicely :)

not yet I am hopeing to do that this weekend

Ok that has got to be, one of the COOLEST explorers Ive seen! Ive always wondered what one covered in bed liner would look like! :D Im jealous :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That paint job looks a lot better than I thought it would. I see that you live in PA, and I saw the rust you had on the roof. How bad was the rust everywhere else? I have a 97X that could seriously use a paint job and I have some rust over the rear passenger side wheel well due to bad MI winters. I have never heard of painting a vehicle with bedliner, but now I'm wondering why more people aren't doing it. Very unconventional, yet very practical. I love it.

Back