• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Ranger - fluid leak?

salmon2day

Reaction score
City, State
St Helens Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger xlt
I have some kind of fluid coating the inside of my driver side front wheel and splattering down the side of the truck. It smells like gear oil or tranny fluid. I have checked all my fluids and the only thing that is low is the front differential, about a half inch down from the fill port. I cleaned the truck and the underneath side. I can still smell it but cant see any leaks. There was fluid right under the differential on the cross beam that seems to run down toward the wheel. I have had this truck for 5000 miles, and the previous owner had a new carrier bearing installed.

If it is my differential seal what should I do and what should it cost. the seal does not look to be leaking from the bottom side but I cant see the upper part.

This is a 4x4 4.0 liter engine.

...Welcome here...:D

...Did this show up after you started using 4wd and how often do you use 4wd?

I have never used the 4 wheel drive. I did just feel the front differential it took 10 oz.

I drove about 8 miles and saw no obvious leak. Yesterday when It was bad I had been parked on a pretty steep hill. I read another post somewhere that someone else had this problem when parked on a hill.

Im thinking it may be leaking out of the axle since most of the fluid was in one fender well and inside one wheel. Does this sound right?

Back