1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Oil Filter type | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Oil Filter type

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I am almost finished changing the oil on my MM 5.0 (had to wash the oil of off my hands to sit down here a minute). I remove the filter, easier than it looks and I notice it's a short filter. Well I have a long one. A Motorcraft FL1A to be exact. I have tried for 10 minutes and it will not screw on to the threads. OK, so I look at the old one it is a Purolator L-24651. It crosses over to a Motorcraft FL-820 and a FL-820S. I guess the S means short. So now I have come to the conclusion that the threads are different than the FL1A. Any 5.0 owner experienced this?
Update, Edited: The 5.0 uses the FL-820s. It has Metric threads which Ford started using in 1996 on the 5.0's. Physically it looks like the long version would fit. Has anyone used the MC FL-820 (long filter) ?
Update again: Local W-mart did not have a MC FL-820s. Had to settle for a less than $3- SUPERTECH S2. IT better fit and I hope it is not too much of a cheapy. I really want a Motorcraft.
Oil filter cross reference Oil filter cross reference
L24651 http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Purolator/L24651

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

S I believe means silicon drain-back valve. That is critical for the 4.6L engines, which that filter was designed for.

S I believe means silicon drain-back valve. That is critical for the 4.6L engines, which that filter was designed for.
I hope this SUPERTECH S2 is configured correctly for the 5.0. I'm trusting this online oil filter cross reference info...

The later engines all use metric filters, the FL820S went onto the Explorer 302 along with the odd block adapter.

I bought a FMS block adapter which is for turning the FL1A on a block, for kit cars etc. I'm going to test it on my Mercury some day, I'd prefer a long/bigger filter. Note to do that requires changing the block fitting(threads), a simple part but requires a very large Allen socket etc.

The later engines all use metric filters, the FL820S went onto the Explorer 302 along with the odd block adapter.
I wanted the FL820S but W-Mart didn't have it. I was just now trying to figure out if there is a long version of the equivalent to the FL820S. Even a 1999 F-150 uses the short filter. There is enough room for one as long as the FL1A because I had one in that area today. Just glad that I couldn't get it to thread on, at all.

The larger filter is for the Mustang or HO v8 truck van engine,

Explorer 5.0 uses the smaller

Back