1998 5L AWD: Possible driveshaft CV joint problem and AWD TC fluid capacity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 5L AWD: Possible driveshaft CV joint problem and AWD TC fluid capacity

Nate_V8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5L AWD
Hi guys

I have been hearing a bunch of clicking noises coming from the front driverside wheel when coming to a stop and on take off plus there is a minor vibration that is not constant like a tire imbalance. On take off the clicking sounds like it turns into a slight rubbing noise (extremely quiet) which I figure is the minor vibration. It needs to drive for 8-10 minutes before it starts to make the clicking noise cming to a stop and on take off.
From what I have read on here, a lot of people replace the front half shafts and still have the noise and it ends up being the front driveshaft CV joint that connects to the TC. Does this sound right?

I took it in to get it checked and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it but he wasn't looking at the CV joint on the front DS, only the U-joints on the front DS and wouldn't listen to what I had to say unfortunately.

I'm very positive that it is the CV joint on the front DS, there is no rubber boot on it though like the front halfshafts. Is that normal?

I took a quick look under the truck and the joint didn't beat up or damaged, there was no noise from it while on the hoist with the truck in drive. I know I read on here that it won't make noise unless on the ground with load which is why it is hard to diagnose for mechanics not familiar with these.

They told me I would need an entire new prop shaft (I guess they mean front DS?) because the CV joint is not rebuildable but I found this on rockauto and wanted to know if it is the correct part for the front DS

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2425736&cc=1304435&jsn=595

If it is can it be installed easily? Does the driveshaft need to be balanced after?

My second concern is I had the mechanic replace the TC fluid (Mobil 1 synthetic ATF) and I bought 3 litres of it just in case. The mechanic drained out the TC, opened one litre and pumped it in and that was it. I don't know the exact capacity but I am pretty sure it is more than 1 litre, unless I am wrong? He said that all the ford TCs take 1 litre. Maybe he was thinking the 4wd TC?

If you guys could answer these questions that would be great! I can't spend much right now and I'm worried that these problems might end up damaging the TC and I can't afford to fix/replace the TC..

My 2000 Mountaineer AWD had started making a loud clicking noise in that area and it turned out to be the CV joint on the front drive shaft at the transfer case. I bought and installed a replacement joint I got off eBay. It was pretty easy to do. I used a Dorman joint kit. There are cheaper ones on eBay that appear to be the same, but IDK. Repairing the joint is much less expensive than buying a reman drive shaft.

A sure sign is a ripped rubber boot that goes around the joint. Once that boot rips the grease slings out the the joint dies soon after.

Here's a link to the Dorman kit I used (prices vary):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Drive-S...ash=item419f1e9869:g:VaEAAOSw14xWMkAE&vxp=mtr

The only other things I needed were a T30 Torx socket for the diff yoke bolts and the tool to install the metal band clamp. I watched a YouTube video on how to install the kit. I'd rate the job a 2 on a scale of 1-10. Quite easy, just a bit of a dirty job.

BTW, The new bolts that come in the kit are a bit short, so most reuse their original bolts.

Ok so I was on the right track, I'll take a better look at the boot this week but even if it isn't torn it is making noise so it needs to be replaced (When we say boot, the rubber ring on the CV joint? because the boot doesn't look like the big boot on the axle half shafts).

I can get the dorman shipped here for $149CAD. Best price I can get right now. Rockauto has them for $131CAD shipped but I don't know anyone here in Canada who has ordered from them. I don't want to get hit by any kind of border fees/customs fees.

It's a T30? I thought it was a T27 torx. What tool did you need for the metal band clamp?

Do you also happen to know the fluid capacity for the awd transfer case?

Thanks

The AWD t-case doesn't hold very much fluid. 1-1.5 Qts of dex/merc ATF. Removing the front drive shaft will not cause any fluid to be lost.

If you look at the eBay link picture I provided, the "boot" is the black and silver thing in the top row, far left.

I'm pretty sure my yoke bolts were T30.

The tool for the band is a CV boot clamp tool. It holds the end of the strap and winds it around a thing that you turn with a wrench, or ratchet to, pull the band tight. I'll see if I can find you a picture of one. I think I paid around $12-14 for the one I bought (also off eBay).

I don't see the exact CV band clamp tool I bought, but it's basically like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-A...:g:JT8AAOSw14xWJokd&item=381443867001&vxp=mtr

Oh, and the drive shaft does not need to be balanced afterwards.

Edit:
Here's the YouTube video I watched before doing the job:
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...r&fr=goodsearch-yhsif&ei=UTF-8&sigb=14jkp6jbo

Back