1998 explorer EB 5.0 spark plugs | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer EB 5.0 spark plugs

I've done some homework on the Autolite offerings. There has been some good feedback from other Ford owners, but one thing I've noticed is that the plugs themselves don't seem much different than the Motorcrafts outside of the "Iridium Enhanced" components.

To the original poster, go with what people have been saying for years on this forum...go Autolite or Motorcraft. Produced by same company (Honeywell). Both will have great results in your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know that you know your stuff Cell. BUT, I have had E3's for quite a while now and have had great performance from them. So, to say that an Autolite or Motorcratf are the ONLY way to go, is a little bold. My mechanic did the first plug swap at 80,000 miles. He showed me the plugs and they were horrible looking. The gap was at 80! I did the next plug swap at 140,000 cause it was running rough. My mechanic put OEM parts back in. They too were at 80 or higher when I pulled them. Did engine swap this past summer. Ran the Motorcrafts for a while. They were OK. Put the E3's in there and could really feel the seat of the pants difference. Idled smoother, and got better mileage. I know some people on the site say that the 302 prefers certain plugs. Its an engine! It doesn't have a preference. Thats like saying a hooker cares whos banging her! As long as she gets paid she doesn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've yet to hear of ANY spark plugs that make a seat of your pants difference that isn't of the psychological variety.

Any new plug will be better than an old plug no matter what the brand. I'm glad the E3 are working for you. I'm just basing my comments on threads I've read on all sorts of Ford sites. Motorcraft/Autolite make for happy Ford owners in a lot of places just like Bosch piss people off. Once you get past the manufactuer's hype, I'm sure E3 plugs are no different that other plugs. I've yet to see any evidence that they're better in our trucks that wasn't of a truly anecdotal variety.

You've got me wrong. I don't know ****. This thread turned into a big pissing match. Just trying to point the OP in a general direction. You won't go wrong with OEM spec or equivalent. Hence why I think Autolite or Motorcraft are great options for our trucks. No need to mess with boutique brands when all that most of them do is lighten your wallet.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've yet to hear of ANY spark plugs that make a seat of your pants difference that isn't of the psychological variety.

Any new plug will be better than an old plug no matter what the brand. I'm glad the E3 are working for you. I'm just basing my comments on threads I've read on all sorts of Ford sites. Motorcraft/Autolite make for happy Ford owners in a lot of places just like Bosch piss people off. Once you get past the manufactuer's hype, I'm sure E3 plugs are no different that other plugs. I've yet to see any evidence that they're better in our trucks that wasn't of a truly anecdotal variety.

You've got me wrong. I don't know ****. This thread turned into a big pissing match. Just trying to point the OP in a general direction. You won't go wrong with OEM spec or equivalent. Hence why I think Autolite or Motorcraft are great options for our trucks. No need to mess with boutique brands when all that most of them do is lighten your wallet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear ya on the pissing match. That always seems to happen with plug issues. But, I priced the recommended OEM Platinum replacement for my Ex, and the E3's where $.40 more each. As far as the seat of the pants feel.. well the engine was put in only a cpl weeks before I went to the E3's. My engine guy put in new Motorcrafts when he installed the engine. I drove it right before the switch, and after. I could tell the difference. I also was skeptical about them until I tried them. Just my own opinion just like everyone else on here. The Horsepower guys on spike had an independent company come in to check E3's claims. They DID have lower emissions, and a more complete burn, with 1 or 2 more HP's and a couple on the torque numbers.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/magazine/?pub=a9e6997c&page=20

I went with Motorcraft when I changed mine at 8x,x.. miles. I did have one break off when i was changing them. I wish I had a picture of my face when I pulled out the ceramic and the metal that fit in the socket. I was in tears when I thought I was fixin to pull a head. Luckily my ez-outs and pb blaster got it out. It was an eeerie feeling when it happened though.
And some people still insists that is OUR fault that those Motorcraft plugs break. Personally, I had changed spark plugs in maybe 10 cars and the ONLY time when I broke 3 of them, one after another, was when I did try to change the Motorcraft ones.
I know that you know your stuff Cell. BUT, I My mechanic did the first plug swap at 80,000 miles. He showed me the plugs and they were horrible looking. The gap was at 80! I did the next plug swap at 140,000 cause it was running rough. My mechanic put OEM parts back in. They too were at 80 or higher when I pulled them.
Mine where the same. I think that any DECENT spark plug is all right as long the temperature rating is right. Absolutelly need to be dual platinums (or fine tip iridium) due to the ignition system present in most of the Ford engines including the 302 (wasted spark).

Considering that a OEM Motorcraft plug is 9$ and competition "top shelf" Iridium/Dual Platinum plug is some 10$... why anybody would buy Motorcrafts? Notice that Motorcraft doesn't sell anymore the "half lenght thread" plugs that I blame for my problems.

I hear ya on the pissing match. That always seems to happen with plug issues. But, I priced the recommended OEM Platinum replacement for my Ex, and the E3's where $.40 more each. As far as the seat of the pants feel.. well the engine was put in only a cpl weeks before I went to the E3's. My engine guy put in new Motorcrafts when he installed the engine. I drove it right before the switch, and after. I could tell the difference. I also was skeptical about them until I tried them. Just my own opinion just like everyone else on here. The Horsepower guys on spike had an independent company come in to check E3's claims. They DID have lower emissions, and a more complete burn, with 1 or 2 more HP's and a couple on the torque numbers.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/magazine/?pub=a9e6997c&page=20

I couldn't get the vid to play. I'll take your word for it. I'd probably consider the same for only $0.40 more per plug based on that.

(EDIT: I can see the article now. I'm going to give it a read)

I couldn't get the vid to play. I'll take your word for it. I'd probably consider the same for only $0.40 more per plug based on that.

(EDIT: I can see the article now. I'm going to give it a read)

It wasn't a video it is an online magazine. You can view the magazine version of the spark plug review.

It wasn't a video it is an online magazine. You can view the magazine version of the spark plug review.

I read the article. A lot of technospeak had me yawning pretty fast.

Did you read any of these reviews? Sort of a mixed bag (even an Explorer review in there). I've found other forums where people speak of misfires and less than stellar life on these plugs. Others like them.

I think I'll stick with my Autolite/Motorcraft recommendations. I found a lot of good things said about the XP104 actually. I've never doubted the posts in here that suggests they're good plugs. I just wonder if they're that much better than Motorcrafts.

On an unrelated but related notes, when I stumbled across info on E3 plugs, they often get compared to these "gimmick plugs". Even Aldive wouldn't give these a go (or E3 for that matter)....he posted in the only "halo plug" thread I could find in the archives.

Halo%20P1.jpg

As long as you're happy with E3, that's all that matters.

I've learned a lot about sparkplugs in the past few days. :D

They aren't different at all (the autolites and motorcrafts). I posted that picture of the short thread auto lites and longer threaded motorcrafts to disprove that only motorcraft used short threads and that autolite used to offer a short threaded version. This is because they are the exact same plug and changed design at the same time.

Are the NGK Iridium ITR5F13 good for the Ex. 5.0 V8?

Back