1998 Explorer Fuel Line Repair or Replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Fuel Line Repair or Replace

petdoc87

Reaction score
City, State
chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Greetings to all this is my first post to the forum. I have a leak in my braided stainless steel fuel line behind the power steering pump resevoir bracket. The vehicle is a 1998 Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition, 4.0L SOHC

I took the car to the dealer for replacement due to time constraints. When I dropped the car off I was quoted $242.00 for parts and $224.00 for labor. After looking at the car they told me I have a dead battery and the lines are $450.00 + $460.00 (labor) + $150.00 for the battery. I told him to forget it and went to pick up the vehicle. When I got there they had already changed the battery (without my OK) and my total was over $300.00. I told him to put the old battery back in, but surprise surprise they had already disposed of the old one. I ended up paying $90.00 for the battery and a $112.00 diagnostic charge (even though I showed them exactly where the leak was. What a bunch of HOGWASH. I am in the process of filling a complaint with the state to try and get the $112.00 back.

Anyway since this gut is obviously not to be trusted I have decided to try and replace or repair the lines myself. Per the dealer the line cost $450.00 + for a set of 2 lines, even though I do not need the return line. I used to do a lot of work on cars, but it has honestly been years. I need to save some $$ since I just put a new fuel pump in, and equipped the vehicle for towing. This has been a great truck and I want to keep it running well.

Does anyone know:
1) Can I repair the leak by splicing the standard high pressure rubber fuel line?
2) Does anyone make an aftermarket line? If yes who?
3) Does anyone have step by step instructions for the replacement.

Many, Many Thanks in advance for your help.

;)

Back