Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Techie- its identical to this:
grindingwheel.jpg

Joe- I swear if I see a log somewhere thats small enough, im gonna "strap it on" and get some pics :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

umm wow, that was way to agressive for what you were doing, it's a good thing it was a battery operated grinder or you could have done some SERIOUS damage to that bumper. In the future use a wheel like the one pictured below, it's basically sand paper on a wheel and is much more suited for the kind of work you were doing. You can get them in different grits depending on how aggressive you want to be.

flap-disc1a.jpg

I honestly looked for something like that, but didnt know they actually made them. I went to 3 smaller hardware shops and all they had was 1-2 different wheels like I posted.

Trust me, im not grinding it hard at all though, I know how bad it could grind deep grooves in.

Ok, so Friday after work I did some cleaning, here are some updates. We were still here, but I steel wool'd the rust that bugged Eric. Sprayed it afterwards. :p:

IMG_2422.jpg

Tackled the doors, because I can't stand knowing this crap is there-

IMG_2446.jpg

I also changed over my speakers, and re-glued the moisture/sound barrier. I did not clean the jambs or boor bottoms yet, so the remnants of the oil sprayed on them to keep them pristine is still there. Worked awesome- thanks Shad!

Before:

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

After:

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Saturday I made a run to the junkyard to get a new rear glass button, and spent some time installing that so I could have a functioning rear window, and so that I could use my rear wiper, which amazingly now that it runs- actually touches the glass!

At the junkyard, I counted 48 Caravans in the Chrysler/Dodge section

IMG_2469.jpg

Saturday afternoon I resumed.

This was my parts farm. :D

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

While everything was out, I layed my cables and wired in the sub. Pissed, the kit I have didn't have power wire long enough, so I had to go grab another one. WTF? Yes, I did clean the gunk in there after I saw the picture. :p:

See Eric? I steel wool'd the seat stud!

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Carpet in.

IMG_2486.jpg

I disassembled the console, and cleaned it all out. Nasty. After finishing that, I put that back in, and that got us here, which is how it sits this morning.

IMG_2489.jpg

I feel like Dale- I work a few hours each day, and then leave it alone. This could take me 2 weeks! lol!

Today I'll swap the black gauges back in, and clean the undersides of the seats, and if time permits- put them back in.

Looking Good Joe! Now that's the way to detail!

That is beyond detail.... Joe is Down with the Sickness.... I call it jOe.C.D.

Hahaha! You down wit Joe cd! Yea, you know me!!!

i recognize that row af caravans joe, too bad i didnt find what i was looking for before the rain started. stupid broken top frame

Whats with the little plugs in the side air vents? And the soccer ball? :scratch:

:D

The plugs are the interior door panel retainers. I don't lose them that way...

The soccer ball is there waiting for someone to ask why there is a soccer ball there. :D

Im asking why :)

Thats a good ass idea for those...I always loose at least 1 of those buggers per door when I pop my panels off.

Let's go with some old school Beastie's today for our viewing music.

...continuing our journey through obsessive-compulsive land, we now move into the living room.

I took the seats inside today so I could clean up the undersides, re-grease the guides, and clean and condition the leather and vinyl.

This is the disgusting dirty, shiny crap that has to go:

IMG_2500.jpg

So, as before- I grabbed a few boxes of Magic Erasers. No, they have not been recommended for leather by a lot of detailers due to the "coating" on the leather, but I've had zero issues with them as long as the after-surface is properly conditioned and maintained. Of course, your results may vary.

When using them, do not use lots of pressure- you're only taking the dirt and grime off, they are like small-scale sandpaper, so keep them adequately wet and don't over-do it. You will be taking some coating off I'm sure, but you're conditioning the leather, so I have no issue doing it.

Here is the 60 rear seat, for a before and after.

Before:

IMG_2503.jpg

1/2 done:

IMG_2504.jpg

After, drying the seams...

IMG_2510.jpg

What you want to see...

IMG_2495.jpg

Mmmm... Grainy 'n clean!

IMG_2496.jpg

Sponges from the seats, and the water from just the 60 rear seat. :eek:

IMG_2509.jpg

...and who's got time to waste in the morning? Instead of coffee or energy shots, I inhale cleaning agents. Even the 5 hour energy guy was impressed at what I got done... Cleaned, detailed, and reconditioned, ready to go in, and hit again with a matte finished leather dressing once in.

*****ez.jpg

Nice work on the Leatha!! Nice Beastie pick too...I think it was 1987 when I saw them with Fishbone. Why are you going back to the stock gauges?

Those are Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? I read some where GOOP hand cleaner works well. Just the plain type, the lanolin helps to keeps the leather soft. That's what did last fall. and I was satisfied with the results. You have got one hell of an Imagination, never a dull moment. Energy dude!!!

Nice work on the Leatha!! Nice Beastie pick too...I think it was 1987 when I saw them with Fishbone. Why are you going back to the stock gauges?

I am swapping back to the black gauges, it just looks funny to me. I loved them on Snowball, maybe it was because it was a white truck and the colors played. I don't like them as much in the dark blue truck and the gray interior. :dunno:

I was getting ready to take the pic, and the 5 hour energy ad came on- so I waited for the "shrug" to take it. :D

Those are Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? I read some where GOOP hand cleaner works well. Just the plain type, the lanolin helps to keeps the leather soft. That's what did last fall. and I was satisfied with the results. You have got one hell of an Imagination, never a dull moment. Energy dude!!!

They are Meijer brand erasers, which are packaged by Proctor & Gamble who makes the Mr. Clean erasers. Same stuff, just less $. I think Target does the same thing, may have more in the box for about the same $$. I had these already though, I seem to keep them, uh, in stock. lol!

I have tried the goop, I prefer the erasers though, less mess, easier to clean up the leather after since it's just water and an eraser, and it's just plain easy. :)

I'm game to try new things, less mess is best.

I can't find a picture of the seats. but I cleaned the vinyl and cargo cover with the goop. worked into the grain with a rag. and wiped it all down.

I went looking for Magic Erasers after seeing Joe use them on Wedgie. Walgreens has the Multi-Eraser on sale sometimes, two boxes for $3.99 for a total of 8 pads.
The Mr.Clean erasers were $3.99 for 2 pads.
I bought the Walgeens version and they worked fine.

Does Joe want to sell the gauges? :)

Back