• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Smog Issues HELP!!

sportalker

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Ok here is the deal, I had the whole issue with the flashing 4x4 lights & truck stuck in 4WDL, so I pulled the transfer case motor, did the rebuild and it worked no more flashing lights drives perfectly!! So my wife takes it in to get a smog done today, and they tell her they won't run the smog test because the computer is telling him that the truck is trying to jump into 4wd and that it's a safety hazard for him to test it. Any ideas what I can do????? Any help with this would be HUGE

Thanks,

Put it in 4x4 and use the AWD dyno for the emissions testing.

How is the truck telling him this? is the 4x4 light flashing? CEL on?

sportalker said:
Ok here is the deal, I had the whole issue with the flashing 4x4 lights & truck stuck in 4WDL, so I pulled the transfer case motor, did the rebuild and it worked no more flashing lights drives perfectly!! So my wife takes it in to get a smog done today, and they tell her they won't run the smog test because the computer is telling him that the truck is trying to jump into 4wd and that it's a safety hazard for him to test it. Any ideas what I can do????? Any help with this would be HUGE

Thanks,

Umm, in all honesty, I'd get a refund and find another shop. Your truck is supposed to try and jump into 4 wheel drive when the rear wheels try to turn faster than the fronts. If you try and strap it down to a rear-wheel chassis dyno for the emissions test, they're smokin' some great ganja (and they're gonna tear your truck up in the process).

How can shops that make a living doing this work be so clueless??

-Joe

Thanks for the info, I was a little confused by what the guy was saying myself. Not sure how he came up with the fact that the truck was trying to jump into 4wd, It doesn't have the flashing 4x4 anymore, he said thats what the computer told him? But to gijoecam's point the truck is supposed to jump into 4x4, so the computer was telling him right he was just an idiot who didn't have a clue. It's sad to think these places do hundreds of tests a week and still don't know what they are doing. So should I be asking for an OBD II test???

Thanks again GIjoecam & 410Fortune

Back